Why become a member? ×

New-ish Yamaha SBV500

nick

Thought I'd post a pic of my new Samaurai banana bass.
Picked it up a couple weeks ago off Ebay, at what I thought was a cheap price, & had been after one for years.

It has a really fast neck, I'm more acustomed to P-Basses. Pickups are surprisingly quite good IMO - which is just as well, as I don't think I'd be able to find replacements that fit.
Delivers a nice punchy tone, with plenty of growl - restrung it with some heavier Elites rounds as opposed to my usual flats.
Doesn't balance too briliantly, but that's to be expected with it's weird shape.
Nicely fits a Jazz Bass hole in my collection....
Needs playing in, as it seems (to me) to be in virtually unplayed condition.
So far, very happy with it - looking forward to roadtesting it at next gig :)

[attachment=10706:002.JPG]

[quote name='BigRedX' post='237579' date='Jul 11 2008, 08:26 PM']Very nice...

Is this an original or a re-issue?[/quote]

Thanks!

It's a (SBV500) reissue, believe they were made for a short while from 2000(?)
It's my youngest bass!

The original (SBV-5A) looked slightly different.
[url="http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/eg/database/sb/sb-5a.html"]http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/eg/...e/sb/sb-5a.html[/url]

Edited by nick

I do like SBVs - folk here from the original Bassworld site will remember Mr Arrowhead Guitars (reincarnated on BC as Paul C) went through a rather strange phase of collecting these - I don't know how many he had, but his avowed intent was to collect them all, Pokemon-style: every model and colour permutation!

I don't think he quite achieved that - but he had loads, as well as the SBV-500 and its numerous colours, in Japan there were various different pickup permutations, special edition models & feck-knows what else. And then there were the vintage ones...

Anyway, with any luck Paul will drop by this topic & post a photo of The Collection, but mine was originally one of his (a duplicate) and look - there it is, being played by a gonk in a dodgy hat:

I love mine (must gig it again soon!) but because I have a penchant for maple & blocks, I really want this version:

Jon.