Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sadowsky UV70 5ver????

bubinga5

Hey everyone..I have been mulling over the various Sadowsky Metro range and am interested in one of the 5 strings. Does anyone have any playing experience of the UV70 5 string. As it is a short scale bass, does this effect the B string???

Or i was looking at a Modulus Jazz, but i dont know if they do a 5 string??

Anyone??

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='237224' date='Jul 11 2008, 12:11 PM']Hey everyone..I have been mulling over the various Sadowsky Metro range and am interested in one of the 5 strings. Does anyone have any playing experience of the UV70 5 string. As it is a short scale bass, does this effect the B string???

Or i was looking at a Modulus Jazz, but i dont know if they do a 5 string??

Anyone??[/quote]

If it's a Sadowsky it'll have an excellent sounding B string. Felix Pastorius is playing one in black. Sounds lovely. Have a look on youtube.

[quote name='bassjamm' post='237355' date='Jul 11 2008, 02:56 PM']I wouldn't dis-regard Mike Lull basses either mate, i've played them next to the Sadowsky's and the Lull's did it for me more than the Sadowsky's!!!

Both are cracking though!!![/quote]
Yeah bassjam ive been thinking about Lull basses but im not sure about the price???? Do they do an affordable range like Sadowsky?

Also been drooling over Pensa basses!! :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='237502' date='Jul 11 2008, 06:18 PM']Yeah bassjam ive been thinking about Lull basses but im not sure about the price???? Do they do an affordable range like Sadowsky?

Also been drooling over Pensa basses!! :)[/quote]

Their more affordable than the Sadowsky's mate...and that's not comprimising on quality, that's a custom built one from the main man himself.

PM me if you want more details mate...don't let the 2nd hand one at the Gallery fool you, that's ridiculously over-priced, by £600 i'd say!

I have a UV70 5 string. It's not a short scale length bass, it's 34" - normal for a jazz style bass. The body is a little bit bigger than other Sadowskys - maybe that's why you thought it was short scale?

The B string is fantastic. I'm quite fussy about Bs, have gone through quite a few basses to find a good one.

When I first got the Metro, the B didn't sound great, but that was because of the Sadowsky strings on it. I put on some DR Hi Beams, and haven't looked back. Not saying Sadowsky strings are bad, maybe it was just this B string that was dead on arrival.

If you're going to buy one of these, definitely consider the VTC option. It's a passive tone control that works alongside the active bass and treble controls. The active treble control is great, but doesn't roll off to give you an old skool tone. The VTC does that - worth the little bit extra.

Overall this is a great bass, my main workhorse instrument at the moment. If you want a Marcus Miller sound, this nails it. But it's very versatile - just a small turn of the pickup blend gives you a huge range of sounds.

[quote name='phagor' post='238201' date='Jul 12 2008, 09:24 PM']I have a UV70 5 string. It's not a short scale length bass, it's 34" - normal for a jazz style bass. The body is a little bit bigger than other Sadowskys - maybe that's why you thought it was short scale?

The B string is fantastic. I'm quite fussy about Bs, have gone through quite a few basses to find a good one.

When I first got the Metro, the B didn't sound great, but that was because of the Sadowsky strings on it. I put on some DR Hi Beams, and haven't looked back. Not saying Sadowsky strings are bad, maybe it was just this B string that was dead on arrival.

If you're going to buy one of these, definitely consider the VTC option. It's a passive tone control that works alongside the active bass and treble controls. The active treble control is great, but doesn't roll off to give you an old skool tone. The VTC does that - worth the little bit extra.

Overall this is a great bass, my main workhorse instrument at the moment. If you want a Marcus Miller sound, this nails it. But it's very versatile - just a small turn of the pickup blend gives you a huge range of sounds.[/quote]

+1 on the VTC

i have the UV70 4 string and the VTC is awesome!! you get all the benifits of both active and passive instruments!

just did a bit of recording the other day with this bass! it records really well with very little fuss! so far ive found it hard to find a bad sound!! oh and i agree about the pickup blend pot!! much better than having 2 seperate volumes like on my fenders

ive heard nothing but good things about sadowsky B strings! i wouldn't hesitate if i were you!