Why become a member? ×

Dingwall and flats

ead

Not much help on the Dingwall forum either. I notice there are some Payson ground wounds available, but the choice of gauges is very curious as the string tensions will be all over the place.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1394457221' post='2391478']
Not much help on the Dingwall forum either. I notice there are some Payson ground wounds available, but the choice of gauges is very curious as the string tensions will be all over the place.
[/quote]

We adjust and fine tune the Payson Fanned sets to be balanced in tension and tone for the Dingwall 37"-34" scale. They are customized for the Multi-Scale basses. Don't let the gauge numbers scare you off.

My custom half-fanned P/J (G - 33 1/4; E - 34 inch scale) was fretted by Sheldon Dingwall. I have used Fender flats on it to great success, until Fender quit making my favourite set.

If you can find long enough flats, the fanned frets are a great foundation, because the longer scale of the lower strings not only helps with tone and sustain, but helps with intonation to help avoid the dreaded thumpy or wobbly E string that many flats players endure.

Since the ribbon wrap has more mass, in that there is less space between the windings than with conventional rounds, most flats sets [i]of the same nominal gauges [/i]will have more tension, so a truss rod tweak is in order. But Dingwall basses are made to take it.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1455552882' post='2980133']
I wonder if LaBella could be approached about making a set? I've heard of people ordering other custom length sets from them, so they might be open to the idea.
[/quote]

Yeah they will, there's a guy on a Dingwall Facebook page who had them make a set about a month ago, i think ive heard of others getting flats for Dingwalls from them before too.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1455552882' post='2980133']
I wonder if LaBella could be approached about making a set? I've heard of people ordering other custom length sets from them, so they might be open to the idea.
[/quote]

I asked a couple of years ago - There was a minimum order amount. 6 or 12 sets I think. I didn't have £300 to spend on strings so I didn't go for it.