Why become a member? ×

Replacement pup for a Stirling RAY34CA?

Mr Fretbuzz

Hey guys any recommendations for improving the sound with replacement humbucker but to retain a sting ray sound? Nordstrand MM4.2 or the new Aguilar AG 4 M or another? Got a new purchase at the Bass Show. I want to keep it as Leland Sklar signed it for me but to improve it.

The Sterling's are ceramic whereas most Stingray pups are alnico, so that's something to bear in mind.

A classic 2-band EQ circuit will also help if you're going after the traditional Stingray tone.

I have a Ray4 coming my way so I'll be looking to mess about with the electronics on that too! Leaning towards Nordstrand for the pickup. I also have an East 3-band pre which sounds similar to the 2-band but with an added mid control - whereas the modern Music Man 3-band said have a harsher more aggressive sound. The Retrovibe Stinger is a cheap way to get the 2-band tone too, but it'd look odd on a bass with holes for four pots!

Got my Ray4 yesterday from a trade, the cheaper version of your Ray34CA. Sounds great, although the output is rather hot so it didn't play nice with certain pedals. It sounds like a Stingray alright, I'd be perfectly happy to leave it stock, but going to experiment with it nonetheless.

I'm fitting a 2-band Retrovibe Stinger EQ to it later today, then will think about pickups. Maybe a Basslines ceramic job, I really like the aggressive sound this has right now as it's unlike any of my other basses, and Alnico might mellow it out too much.

I also have a Westone Thunder with P and MM pickups and a 3-band John East Stingray pre. This one's going to get a set of flats, and maybe some vintage style alnico pickups and swap out the East for an Audere pre with the Z-mode switch and a passive tone control.

Hopefully I will then be happy with these so I can get back to playing with them instead of fiddling with them!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1394299572' post='2390077']
Kent Armstrongs are Ceramic. I've got one in a Wishbass and it really barks/growls.

Amazing value for £51

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/musicman-bass-pickup-2765-p.asp
[/quote]

Not sure I like the look of that, part of the visual appeal for me is those fat pole pieces!

Anyhow, just given the Stinger preamp a whirl. It has a lot more mids going on, less highs, and more lows on tap than the stock preamp. I think this would sound really good in the other bass with flats that I'm setting up as a funk machine, but I'm putting the stock pre back in the SUB as it has more bite up top and a more aggressive sound, which is what I'm after for this bass. I can imagine that the Stinger would sound better in a band mix though since it's less scooped.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1394310026' post='2390233']
I can imagine that the Stinger would sound better in a band mix though since it's less scooped.
[/quote]

That Stinger preamp sounds amazing with a P. Just the right frequencies boosted for me.