Why become a member? ×

Fender maple fingerboards

john_the_bass

Maple boards shouldn't have lacquer over the frets as it's not hard wearing enough (especially with bass strings) and will wear off with playing leading to tuning problems. Either the frets are fitted after lacquering or the lacquer is polished off the fret surface before final fret finishing.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='233525' date='Jul 6 2008, 11:55 AM']Are the maple fingerboards on Fender basses lacquered [b]over[/b] the frets?
Mine seems to have been and I noticed that the lacquer's split on some frets.

Doesn't make any difference to how it plays, I just thought it was unusual.[/quote]

well my mates 2001 MIA jazz thats sitting here next to me has exactly the same problem! u can scratch bits of lacquer off the frets with your finger nail!!!

and it has never had any work done on it at all!! so it must have left the factory like that!

poor fender workmanship???

who knows

Just had a look at my maple neck MIA deluxe jazz and it's a close call, but no lacquer on the actual frets. The frets themselves are terrible quality, I've had it two years and its in serious need of a re-fret already. Jap fenders all the way for me from now on...

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='237382' date='Jul 11 2008, 03:28 PM']I have a Jap Fender tele - I've had it from new for a little over a year - I reckon it's coming up to needing a refret soon.
Crap really[/quote]

I think there are several factors involved in fret wear.

1. "Vintage" narrow frets wear quicker than more "modern" wide frets
2. Stainless steel strings will wear the frets quicker than strings with nickel in them
3. The material used for the frets themselves

With regard to the fret material, I believe you can get stainless steel fretwire (or something like that) that should never really wear at all. However, it's a bit more difficult to work with (i.e. costs more for mass makers) and it might have an effect on the sound. It certainly would destroy any of the "vintage vibe" that is popular at the moment.

But I don't think any of them should be varnished over !