Why become a member? ×

New Allen Woody Rumblekat open A buzz

basskit_case

Got a new rumblekat yesterday, using it today and noticing buzzing on the open and fretted A string.

Doesn't look or sound like fret buzz, when I listen close it sounds like it is buzzing all along the bass, could it be the truss rod?

Also the nut was cut quite poorly, should I return and replace or attempt a fix?

Cheers

It's a < £300 bass, although the nut finish doesn't look nice, as in not finished off, I can't see how it's 'poorly cut'? If the string buzzing is causing a problem though - you have every right to send it back, if you start attempting a fix you might invalidate the warranty.

It is a common issue related to the nut. It will probably go away if you push the A down behind the nut. You might get lucky by winding the string so that the windings push the string down and increase the break angle. However to fix it permanently you might need a new nut ... preferably fitted by someone who knows how to set it correctly.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I have located the problem, if I hold the body of the bass close to my ear and rotate it slowly I can here something small and metallic moving around in the bass. I could investigate further but I think it wise that I return for a different one.