Why become a member? ×

Battery drain conundrum (active bass)

Skol303

I’ve been having trouble with my active Fender Jazz. The batteries have been draining exceptionally quickly - I installed a new set at the start of January and they’re already dead: horrible distortion from the bass, then no signal. Apparently flat.

I swapped them for a new set - bass worked fine. To double-check, I reinstalled the ‘old’ batteries from January: again, distortion then fade to black…

Keen to remedy this, I’ve just shipped the bass off to Fender for inspection (under warranty). I’ve also just taken delivery of a cheap multimeter (spurred on by this problem) and have tested the ‘old’ batteries just removed from the bass. One measures around 5v, the other around 9v.

This seems odd… I was expecting these batteries to be flat as pancakes given the behaviour of the bass with them installed. Now I’m wondering whether:[list]
[*]The batteries were in fact fine and someone is spiking my evening tea
[*]I don’t know how to use a multimeter properly
[*]The problem with the bass is not with the batteries
[*]The problem is with the batteries, [i]not[/i] the bass
[/list]
Can anyone suggest what might be going on?

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by Skol303

I've got a fender active Jazz and I've been worrying that the batteries seem to be lasting too long - almost a year now! OK, the amount of actual playing will affect the battery life, but unless you're at it 24/7 then one month sounds like a very short time to me.

I wouldn't worry about the distortion. That's just a symptom of the dying batteries underpowering the pre-amp and causing it to distort. If new batteries sound fine, then I wouldn't give that a second thought.

My understanding is that the battery is only connected when the lead is plugged in. So make sure you remove it when you're not playing. But I'm guessing you already do that.

It's possible that the jack socket contacts are not working correctly such that the battery is remaining connected even when the jack plug is removed. Should be easy to check but you'll need to take things apart. If you're not comfortable with such things then it's a tech job.

Perhaps some other active jazz owners could say how much use their bass gets and how long their batteries typically last?

Edited by flyfisher

^ Cheers for the reply. My thoughts exactly.

What seems odd is that the apparently 'dead' batteries I removed from the bass are showing as being 5v and 9v on the multimeter - I'd expect them to work at those Voltages, yet the bass was distorting and then simply fading to no signal with them installed.

[quote name='Michael J' timestamp='1391607704' post='2359104']
5V [b]is[/b] flat as a pancake for a 9V battery.
[/quote]

Yep, especially if you're just measuring it with a multimeter and no actual load. Interesting that it's only one battery that is so flat. Might be a clue there, but not sure what.

I don't know the pre-amp circuit details, so I don't know what voltage it needs to operate correctly, but 5v is almost certainly much too low. In general, batteries do a pretty good job of maintaining their voltage throughout their operating life, then it quickly drops off. Different types have slightly different characteristics but that's the general principle and one that circuit designers will usually rely on. Again, I wouldn't be worrying about the distorted sound - I think you've found the reason for that. It's what's causing the battery to discharge so quickly in the first place that's the issue.

You can't assess battery condition accurately with a multimeter is the other problem. :)

At the very least you need to measure the voltage whilst the battery is under load and even then, you have no idea what the threshold is on the device being powered.

EDIT: Beaten to it by Flyfisher :)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391608624' post='2359126']In general, batteries do a pretty good job of maintaining their voltage throughout their operating life, then it quickly drops off.[/quote]
[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1391608795' post='2359131']You can't assess battery condition accurately with a multimeter is the other problem. At the very least you need to measure the voltage whilst the battery is under load and even then, you have no idea what the threshold is on the device being powered.[/quote]

Cheers guys! This is precisely why I should have listened more closely during physics lessons as a kid ;)

I'm obviously peeved that the bass has a fault, but I'm at least reassured that I'm doing the right thing by having it inspected whilst under warranty.

I'll update this thread once the story has concluded... [i](cue dramatic music).[/i]

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1391612608' post='2359215']
9/10 times I've seen this happening it's been either a faulty socket or forgetting to unplug the bass when not in use. :)
[/quote]

Yup, I reckon it's the jack socket or maybe something shorting elsewhere. I'm a fastidious unplugger of gear, so I know for sure it's not that! :D

Another possibility, although less probable, would be a rogue duff battery. I'd argue that, if the jack switch was permanently 'on', the batteries wouldn't even last a month. A couple of weeks, I'd guess, at best.
Maybe just one battery was unwell, and gave up the ghost..? I'd have put in a fresh set and tried again. No harm in getting it checked, though.
Just sayin'.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1391636701' post='2359702']Maybe just one battery was unwell, and gave up the ghost..? I'd have put in a fresh set and tried again. No harm in getting it checked, though.[/quote]

Good point Douglas. I did wonder the same... However the batteries it came with were also flat within a few weeks. Now they could have been just old batteries and on their last legs. But when it subsequently flattened the new Duracells I'd installed in January I began to think something is amiss. Plus, I'm simply impatient and want it fixed NOW! :D

Worst case I'll have to pay the courier fee for Fender to tell me that it was a duff battery. But I thought it better to be safe than sorry.

I'll let you all know the diagnosis in due course.

Thanks again for the input!

Isnt there some Mod you could do so that it Turns OFF fully.. I could hook some thing up via a Volume Pot i guess
Hook Ground to the Jack ..
If you have a Pickup Selection switch wouldnt take much to replace and put in a off positions maybe

Tried to google for the circuit but found so many types and not active ones !!

for it to be using batteries so much means its making a connection..

I was suggesting a MOD to make sure the Battery wasnt used up..as i said i dont know what design this is .. a LOT of makers of ITEMS make FAULTS built in..
IE fixing Laptops .. noticed a lot of faults with were the PSU plugs in.. because a few laptops dont have any thing bit a 2mm bit of plastic holding back the connection box and nothing behind it.. That is waiting for it to happen

Yes, it's making a connection but the point is it shouldn't be unless the lead is plugged in. That's a fault and it should be fixed. It's unlikely to be a design fault because my Fender active J doesn't behave that way (nor does my active acoustic guitar) and we've not been inundated with other active jazz owners complaining about the same problem, which also suggests it's a one-off fault. Plus the bass is under warranty, so the supplier should fix the fault anyway.

Also, modifying the pickup switch to be centre-off would only disconnect the pickups from the preamp, it wouldn't remove the battery power to the pickup, so wouldn't solve the problem. Even if the bass had a pickup switch, which is doesn't.

what type of SWITCH do you have for the PICK UP.. 2P2T (on/on/on)

well you would need another Pole to be able to change that so the battery is turn off and state
3P4T maybe a rotary as i dont know of a toggle

well that one looks like its powering up the PreAmp .. should really go to a Switch first to turn it off...other wise there is Power to the PCB

Same with this one but the Negitive side of the battery is going to the Jack plug ground.. tho the grounds dont seem to go to ground but that might compleat the circuit tho

I do think its just a short tho

Edited by AngelLaHash

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1391612608' post='2359215']
9/10 times I've seen this happening it's been either a faulty socket or forgetting to unplug the bass when not in use. :)
[/quote]
Yup, my money's on the socket. This happened to a bass of mine many moons ago, I couldn't work out why it was eating batteries within days until I tested the supposedly stereo jack socket and found the dead short between ring and sleeve... :angry:

[b]UPDATE:[/b] I've just heard back from the folks at Fender about this repair, and it turns out that the problem is.... [i]drumroll please[/i]... a faulty jack socket!

As suspected it's permanently switched on; hence the constant battery drain. I'm actually relieved it's not a fault with the pre-amp and all perfectly fixable.

Thumbs up to Fender and the people at GuitarGuitar for handling this so well :) I'm very pleased with the service so far.