Why become a member? ×

ohms and stuff

cclowend

[quote name='cclowend' timestamp='1391588626' post='2358777']
Hi, I recently let the smoke out of my asdown abm c115 and have purchased a GK 1001rb head, a hartke 200 watt 8ohm 15" and a 400 watt 4.5xl 4x10". Does this all add up with regards to ohms and wattage?

Any advice greatly received.
[/quote]
What's the impedance on the 410? If it's 8 ohm as well, equal wattage will be sent to both cabs, meaning potentially the Hartke could be getting 350w. That coupled with the fact that the 410 will dominate the sound might mean that you wouldn't hear the 1x15 farting out (which will happen well before it's rated 200w).

Yes, equal wattage to both cabs. So a way to eq so as the 115 doesn`t fart out is get your eq with the 115 on top, then once all sorted, shift it to the bottom. Then the higher/tighter frequencies on the 4.5 will make hearing yourself better. Though in all honesty, having used the 4.5XL, for all but the biggest gigs that cab itself should be more than enough.

Thanks for your help. I have a lot of learning to do e.g. Wiring up cabs, filtering horn frequencies and other things. It was all so simple with my Ashdown combo! These new fangled speakon cables are even worrying me!! I am sure I will get it by furiously browsing bass chat for answers!

Thanks again.

With that set up I'd be inclined to leave the 115 on top as it's sometimes tempting to reach for the volume control during the gig. With the 410 putting out more volume it will quite likely mask the 115 distorting, particularly so if it's at ear level.

As it stands your 115 may be at risk, not so much from its lower power handling but from over-excursion of the cone. Something to watch out for especially if you like boosting the bass and/or play at high volume.

Well I have taken delivery of the rig and I have to say it sounds awesome. No noticeable low end flap at all. My only question is should I use each amp output into each cab or one output into one cab and then use the extension output of the one cab into the other? Sorry for the lame ass newbie questions.