Why become a member? ×

George Porter Jr UK tour

bassface27

• 1 month later...

Just caught them at the Borderline ... I had high expectations and they were exceeded. They made a thing of doing old Meters tunes that (for the most part) were never played live by the Meters, and apparently they also managed to play a different set every night of the tour. George seems to be the definition of Mr Nice Guy ... he invited up most of the members of the support band (including the bassplayer) on stage for a number that started as Just Kissed My Baby, segued into Cissy Strut, and then changed Cissy Strut into a 12-bar.

Got to talk to him briefly afterwards, and when someone told him I was a bass player he was happy to talk briefly about gear.

Since GPJ is my no. 1 bass hero, I'm basically happy as a pig in **** right now :)

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1396220502' post='2411194']
...as Just Kissed My Baby, segued into Cissy Strut, and then changed Cissy Strut into a 12-bar.

[/quote]

Damn, he didn't do those in Manc, 'Just Kissed...' has to be one of my favs.

What did you think of the drummer? Almost stole the show for me.

no Just Kissed in Nottm either (used to play that in my old band tho!)
I thought drummer was awesome too.....guitarist was great on rhythm too tho and some nice lead and a bit of slide.
thought the keyboard player was a bit invisible most of the time, but that could just have been the poor sound in Nottm.......he did look like they'd just picked him up in a swamp in Louisiana though...!

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1396258701' post='2411374']
Damn, he didn't do those in Manc, 'Just Kissed...' has to be one of my favs.

What did you think of the drummer? Almost stole the show for me.
[/quote]
Awesome ... and he knows it :) I don't know if he did this stunt when you saw him, but at one point he took off his t-shirt (slogan 'I will funk you to death') hung it right over his head, so he couldn't see, and then proceeded to play the most amazing solo :)

The support band (who also organised the tour) are mates, and the drummer had nothing but praise for GPJ's drummer (Terrence something ?). Apparently he was given all sorts of advice/tips/tuition and told that if he ever visited New Orleans, the first thing he had to do was call Terrence.

Edited by BigBeatNut

• 9 months later...

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1396259976' post='2411397']
Awesome ... and he knows it :) I don't know if he did this stunt when you saw him, but at one point he took off his t-shirt (slogan 'I will funk you to death') hung it right over his head, so he couldn't see, and then proceeded to play the most amazing solo :)
[/quote]

Looks like that's now his regular party-piece:

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1396259976' post='2411397']
.....the drummer had nothing but praise for GPJ's drummer (Terrence something ?)....
[/quote]

That'll be the amazing Terence Higgins.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i0Y4NSqEhY[/media]

• 10 months later...

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1396220502' post='2411194']George seems to be the definition of Mr Nice Guy ... he invited up most of the members of the support band (including the bassplayer) on stage for a number that started as Just Kissed My Baby, segued into Cissy Strut, and then changed Cissy Strut into a 12-bar.[/quote]

... and here's the evidence:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAF3N6o7Rbg[/media]

Edited by BigBeatNut