Why become a member? ×

Cort GB4

grayn

The Cort GB4 is loosely based on a Jazz Bass. It differs in that it has a

slightly smaller body, the neck is a little narrower at the high end, it has a

single coil and humbucker pickup and it is active. Kind of a super-jazz

then. It's body is made of swamp ash, with a spalted maple top. The Canadian
hard maple neck is bolted on to the body. It has a rosewood fretboard, with
pearl block markers and a 12 inch radius. The headstock has a matching, spalted maple front.
The pickups (SJB-3N & SMB-4D) and pre-amp (BEQ-3) are by Seymour Duncan. The controls are the usual Vol., Pan and 3-band EQ, plus a mid-scooping "funk" switch. The Hardware is by Hipshot.

So it has all the right stuff. And I'm happy to say that all it's specifications have been put together to create a very beautiful bass. The finishing is truly excellent. The neck, sublimely playable. The woods and pickups create an array of tones, to match most basses, at 2 or 3 times the price.

I've not recorded with the bass yet, but both playing on my own and with my band, it really produces the goods. It really responds to style of play and is great for rocking out, slapping and more melodic, evocative playing. This mid-priced bass was made in Indonesia and I just can't find fault with it. Tonally it blends Jazz and Stingray type tones, to give superbly useable sounds. It's feel is solid and nimble. Well worth a try, if you want something a little different, that really punches well above it's weight.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1391364573' post='2356270']
Cort build a lot of Squiers these days which is why the quality has improved so much - that's a great looking bass and a nice alternative to a traditional jazz (though I'm still totally impressed with my Squier Active Deluxe Jazz). :)
[/quote]
They also build G&L Tributes, Lakland Skylines, as well as guitars for Fender & Ibanez. One of the most uderrated and ignored brands.

• 2 weeks later...