Why become a member? ×

Complex peices of music and rhythms

ML94

So one of my conditions to get into Uni is that I achieve atleast a pass on my grade 8 performance. When I had looked at the entries etc. the only time I can be entered is march and if I wanted something later it be November which is not applicable.

So the syllabus is the trinity pop and rock for bass. I'm having a good time learning the material and have chosen my own peice 'what is hip' for the second option and third is YYZ as it's their 'special focus' track. Now I'm not a fan of this type of music and it's quite complex and I'm ready for a challenge.

I just wanted to know how you guys go about learning complex peices of music. For me I kind of sit there and learn them in passages E.G, learn the whole of section A and get it perfect before moving onto B, C and so forth. Are there any other ways of approaching music in an efficient fashion or what I'm doing is enough ?

Also how do you go about working out difficult rhythms ? For me I kind of end up playing sixteenths and then working out where how long the notes/rests are.
It might not be the best way but how do you guys go about it ?

Edited by ML94

As already mentioned, break it up into small segments or divide into natural phrases. Not too long though. Slow the speed down and then gradually speed up once you've got it cracked. If the tempo reads eg. 120 bpm, I'll aim to be able to play it at 130+ so that it all fits nicely...

Good luck...

As above, but important not to rush and get a phrase wrong in your head as it will take a lot longer to put it right later and the wrong phrasing will pop out later in performance when you are under stress.
So go slow and only speed up when correct. If you are not sure of the phrasing grab another Muso - any good brass / string / piano player of a good standard you trust to sing it to you first. Rather than learn it wrong.

Yeah, it's rhythms that I am terrible at and still approaching them with caution as I know once you learn something wrong, it takes longer to make it right again. Other than that Logic pro's midi is my best friend when it comes to rhythms haha

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1391364555' post='2356268']
Just modified this post instead of creating a new topic about working out rhythms
[/quote]

Have you got Sibelius ?

It can be really useful for working complex notated rhythms that you have to play. Just enter the part in and it'll play it back to you.

Any rhythms can be mastered by slowing them down enough. I presume you've a bass score of the piece you want to learn..? Slow down the tempo to match your reading/playing, and speed up very slowly (3 bpm/week..?).
For longish stuff, I always found it useful to divide into 'do-able' chunks, and learn them starting from the ending, working towards the beginning. Once you've the last section down 'pat', move to the second last. This way, as you get more and more done, you're working into your 'comfort zone'; the further you get into the piece, the more familiar it becomes.
Hope this helps.

Two interesting points
I used to take occasional lessons from a Pro bass player, to cover off a few issues as and when.
My question to the Pro = If I am to play this difficult passage where would you start on the neck? This was to check my approach was on the right lines, more relevant as a 5 string player.

This was a tricky four bar counter melody covering an octave and a half. The answer = I wouldn't play that, But its written, surely if you were in a pit orchestra in the west end or touring with a name you would have to play that.
Pro = No I would make up what I felt fitted the part. Hope some of you disagree but there you go

I still try and learn everything as it is written but my approach is now my approach, I do not get hung up that there is one right way to play something. One thing I did take away is its often best to start with your middle finger on the root of the key centre and everything should fall under your hand, until it doesn't anymore then you had better have worked out where you are heading before you start playing it.

I approach difficult bits by breaking them down, pencil through the bar breaking the phrase into single beats, so you can see what's going on.

Agree if I have to actually sight read a part never seen before (rare), I'd maybe play something appropriate, much better than messing it up.

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1391510420' post='2357841']
But when your in an exam situation playing what you think is right for the part will definatley give the examiner something to think about !

The worst peice/the one I hate is YYZ by Rush. Not a big rock fan so you can see why ...
[/quote]

:D That would be great wouldn't it just go in there and busk away and say I didn't care for the exam part so made my own up.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1391512500' post='2357865']

:D That would be great wouldn't it just go in there and busk away and say I didn't care for the exam part so made my own up.
[/quote]

It's quite an easy exam (trinity rock and pop).
Walk in
Play 3 songs
Improvise a bit
Jobs done.