Why become a member? ×

University audition piece

JamesBass

So, I've just applied to finish my degree at a few unis and am after a decent audition piece, I'm really unsure about what I should choose. I want to do something that will impress, but isn't too safe, so no boring basic grooves really.

Any suggestions oh wise members of BassChat?!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1390847616' post='2350323']
So, I've just applied to finish my degree at a few unis and am after a decent audition piece, I'm really unsure about what I should choose. I want to do something that will impress, but isn't too safe, so no boring basic grooves really.

Any suggestions oh wise members of BassChat?!
[/quote]

Maybe a solo performance of Teen Town? I did this for my final recital with a loop pedal (similar to the Michael manring version) and it went down a storm with the examiners.

I applied for LCM for their jazz course that starts in september and got in.

I played Autumn Leaves and Blue Bossa for the Jazz pathway. Pop pathway I played Quite Firm (Laurence Cottle) and Runaway (Jamiroquai).

What surprised me was the fact that after I had played my pieces on the pop pathway the bass player there had said 'you have a deep pocket, your in'. 'A lot of people play pieces stiffly and don't groove with the song. But when you play the part as well as groove with the band its a completely different dimension'. Obviously I was chuffed with myself but then I understood that they didn't want to hear me tapping my bass and slapping the tits off it. They wanted groove and to make the music feel good. Adding the odd lick here or there, changing your technique slightly e.g. popping the hammer on instead of normal finger style and so on.

I learned so much within that 40 minutes and understood that not all people are looking for flashy technique (which I thought was the deal breaker). I hope this helped ! If I had read this before I auditioned I would've became more relaxed and played like there was no tomorrow :rolleyes:

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1390851640' post='2350439']
I play for LCM big band at the moment mate

hope to see you there next year :D

feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions
[/quote]

Let the questions begin, I've been waiting for 'someone like you' LOL
You have a PM ...

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1390851863' post='2350446']
I did Butterfly by Herbie Hancock, just grooved the 1st time through and solo'd the 2nd. I downloaded a without bass version from somewhere.
[/quote]

How did you play it ? Theres a version where Marcus is grooving away ..

Cheers Gents, I've been thinking that they'd want groove, feel and timing than the slap and crap. Luckily I'm not a slapper or crapper aha, the first piece I thought of going with was Bach's Invention 4 in the key of D minor, it's crazy but more technical exercise than audition piece I think.

I'm applying for Solent Uni having already done(Well just about done) 2 years at my local college on a HND course, so only have to do a top up year, which I'm applying/applied to do.

Current batch of songs up for consideration are:

Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
Turn To Stone - ELO
Evil Woman - ELO
Commentators - City and Colour
Who Do You Think I Was - John Mayer

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1390855345' post='2350547']
Cheers Gents, I've been thinking that they'd want groove, feel and timing than the slap and crap. Luckily I'm not a slapper or crapper aha, the first piece I thought of going with was Bach's Invention 4 in the key of D minor, it's crazy but more technical exercise than audition piece I think.

I'm applying for Solent Uni having already done(Well just about done) 2 years at my local college on a HND course, so only have to do a top up year, which I'm applying/applied to do.

Current batch of songs up for consideration are:

Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
Turn To Stone - ELO
Evil Woman - ELO
Commentators - City and Colour
Who Do You Think I Was - John Mayer
[/quote]

What about Vultures by John Mayer. Pino really sets the groove on that. Groove on it, add a couple tasty licks and jobs done !

Don't get stuck playing Sir Duke (or insert standard impressive bass tune here) like everyone else is my advice, every bass player knows it or likes to think they know it at least so they will have heard it a million times. I think you're thinking outside the box with the ELO tunes which is good but look at something that shows you've got excellent note choice and feel. I auditioned Kid Charlemagne and For Once In My Life for mine which went down really well.

Pino's Who Did You Think I Was is amazing but incredibly hard to cop his feel, it's incredibly busy but in a way that only Pino can be. Sure to impress with a bit of practice.