Why become a member? ×

Bridge for short scale bass ???

barryman

I just finished redoing a lovely older short scale bass. Only problem is that it did not have original bridge with it so I put on a standard bridge I had knocking around. My problem soon became evident - the string spacing is a bit too wide and my G string starts falling off the cliff around the 6th or 7th fret. Current string spacing is about 19mm.
(see attached photo)

So, does anyone have a cheapo bridge - doesn't matter what condition - that they could donate or sell me cheaply as I cannot think what else to do. In theory I could try to file another groove into the existing saddle and fill in the current groove to stop string sliding back but I think this would be a bit difficult! Is this possible?? I also thought about drilling another hole in the L bit of the bridge through which to thread the string but the spring mechanism would then be in the way.

I know I could replace whole bridge with those individual saddles but, as the bass now has a great sixties look to it, this would not look right with the era.

Any ideas to amend existing bridge or do you have an old bridge lying around??

Edited by barryman

The Schaller Bassbridge 2000 has sideways saddle adjustment which allows for string spacing down to 15mm - http://www.thomann.de/gb/schaller_bass_bridge_2000_4s_chrome.htm?sid=d175bb5cef631052f5a7e43c76e1cc9b

Thanks Ikay - it would certainly do the job but cost-wise there's just no point in me spending £75 on a bridge for this bass - it doesn't make sense. I can't see how or why people pay fortunes for a bridge - the prices are crazy and, if truth be told, I bet there's not much difference in sound for any of them!! Now - that's put the cat among the pigeons!!!

I think I have solved the problem now - there was a little bit of movement sideways of the G string saddle so I have pushed over the saddle and have put a screw in next to it to hold it in place. Not perfect but it'll have to do!