Why become a member? ×

Markbass - Speakon 2 pole / 4 pole connectors

wavey

Hi,

I have a Mark Little amp head and 104HR cab - I was going to buy a speakon cable but am confused about the choice of 2 pole or 4 pole!

The Markbass manual says:
SPEAKER OUT speakon/1/4" combo, 1/4"

I was hoping to buy a right angle speakon for the cab but they're only available in 4 pole.

So my questions are:

If anyone out there uses Speakons with their MarkBass, did you use 2 pole or 4 pole?

Does it matter (and is it possible) to use a 2 pole cable into 4 pole socket and vice-a-versa.

Thanks

Don't worry about 2 or 4 pole. As long as the two poles you wire to on the four pole speakon correspond to the two on the two pole then there won't be a problem. You'll know if you haven't wired to the right poles as the cable will not transmit any signal. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm a complete novice when it comes to this so please bare with me - I read a few forums about this and I saw some saying a 4-pole speakon connector won't fit into a 2-pole socket? I'm probably getting the wrong end of the stick but I thought any speakon connector would fit into any speakon socket?

[quote name='wavey' timestamp='1390144758' post='2341870']

I'm a complete novice when it comes to this so please bare with me - I read a few forums about this and I saw some saying a 4-pole speakon connector won't fit into a 2-pole socket? I'm probably getting the wrong end of the stick but I thought any speakon connector would fit into any speakon socket?
[/quote]

Well I've just been to my workroom and plugged a 4-pole Speakon into a pcb mount combo socket and 1+ and 1- mate perfectly as checked by a multimeter. (Can supply photos for the non-believers)

2-pole and 4-pole Speakons are compatible however there are larger Speakons that aren't.

[quote name='wavey' timestamp='1390162415' post='2342212']
Thanks again.

So I hope I'm right to say that if I buy a cable with 4-pole connectors it will work on my amp/cab whether it's set up for 2-pole or 4-pole!

I think this is what I've been trying to ask all along :rolleyes:
[/quote]

....but why buy a cable with 4-pole connectors that might or might not fit, or could be a bit tight, when you can get a 2-pole version?

[quote]but why buy a cable with 4-pole connectors that might or might not fit, or could be a bit tight, when you can get a 2-pole version[/quote]

I have no idea about it and I've seen so many different answers I'm trying to guess what's right from them all.

Today on another Bass forum I had replies which said always buy 4-pole because it's the industry standard. The fittings are the same according to most answers e.g. 2-pole or 4-pole connector fits 2-pole or 4-pole socket. So my thought is to buy 4-pole.

Wavey, save yourself the stress and buy direct from OBBM.

I've used his cables and they are top quality. They are built to be used and moved unlike some cables that after 50 uses in and out they are falling to bits.
The cables go beyond durability too - there is science behind his choices of components.

You could buy the bits and gave a few pennies but at least with OBBM, failures (can't see it happening myself) will be covered by support.

Here is the website: http://bassic-bits.co.uk

Simples. :)