Why become a member? ×

Probably even stoopider newbie question

Scoobs

Hi folks, so here's the thing. I have an Ashdown after 8 15w practice amp. It's been a long time since I played with other musicians and I'm wondering if I need a bigger combo. Does practice mean practice on your own at home or with a band. I'm sure it depends on the band to a point and how loud they practice but would this amp be any good for anything other than home practice?
If as I suspect it won't be loud enough then I have my eye on a Genz Benz contour combo, if bass direct still have them at £299 they look like a very good deal. If I do go that way the Ashdown will have to go as space is at a premium so if I'm practicing at home will the GB be useable without rattling the windows and annoying the neighbours?
SWMBO did make a good point that it's a bit daft spending £300 just in case I need an amp to play with other people, but on the other hand if I do find some like minded consenting adults to play with will I then have to say hang on I need to buy an amp first?

[size=4]If you're going to play with drums then go for the bigger set up. The GB stuff, as you say, is being given away at the moment. You will only rattle windows if you turn up. One thing to bear in mind is that if you do commit to a bigger rig you’ll try harder to find some band mates, if only to help justify your purchase and one more Bassist making music has got to be a good thing.[/size]
[size=4]Another option is to buy used so if nothing happens you can resell with [color=#222222][font=Arial]negligible[/font][/color] loss. I've just seen a Ahdown British made ABM 500 4x10 go for about £140 on ebay it had a BIN of just £200.[/size]

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1390056527' post='2340977']
[size=4]If you're going to play with drums then go for the bigger set up. The GB stuff, as you say, is being given away at the moment. You will only rattle windows if you turn up. One thing to bear in mind is that if you do commit to a bigger rig you’ll try harder to find some band mates, if only to help justify your purchase and one more Bassist making music has got to be a good thing.[/size]
[/quote]

Good answer. Your practice amp is not suitable for a band situation. The Genz Benz contour combos are suitable, and when you eventually get into the gigging you can boost the output with an extension cab, if necessary. For £299 these are a bargain. I don't know of anything better and more suited to purpose that you could buy new for that money. I would say go for it!

Thanks folks, your answers are pretty much confirming what I thought. I'm not averse to second hand, or buying amp and cab, the for sale section on here is a bit confusing when you don't really know what you are looking at, plus it seems to have a lot of stuff that is a bit rich for me - I can go to £300 but no higher. I found an Ashdown Electric Blue 180 on ebay but I have no idea whether it is any good, how old it is or anything. Any pointers on what to look for or avoid if I go second hand?
Thanks for the heads up on the GAK one Grangur by the way it's definitely on my list but don't hold back on my account - I'm not desperate.
Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Thanks guys, two more questions. The GB contours that bass direct have got, are they the old mark 1 which are apparently a bit unreliable? I've read an enigmatic comment on another thread along the lines of " if you want to know why they are so cheap ask Fred at bass direct" or is this all tied up with selling out to Fender?
Second q what do you folk think I should look for / expect second hand with a £300 limit?
Buying amplifiication makes buying a bass look easy!
Thanks again.

The thing is, is that is gear out there that is suited to all kinds of different situations. Over the last 12 years, I've finally settled on a rig of two small matching combos. One for practice, rehearsals and small gigs; and two for larger gigs.

If I had £300 to spend on a gig ready rig, I'd buy the Ampeg SVT 1x15 cab for sale on this site for £100 and then with the rest I'd buy a Gallirn Kreuger MB200. Plenty of power for small gigs and rehearsals, looks great and is also expandable with another cab in the future.

Truckstop