Why become a member? ×

Chopping in the Fender '51 P bass?

JustAverageMax

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1389968691' post='2340096']
I'd pop into Northampton (they have a PMT I think, not sure about any other shops) and try out as many as you can!
[/quote]

Good advice. PMT in Northampton are good, I`ve bought a few things from them and they`re happy to let you just try items out and widdle away. I would say if you like the sound your 51 gives, a Jazz, whilst they sound great, is unlikely to be as substantial in the mix. Plus the neck on a Jazz is a lot thinner than the one you have. I`d echo Noisyjons opinion re trying a post 57 style Precision.

I do check out PMT every now and then as its really close to my college but I know they dont like people just seeing what basses are like and then not buying them :( which is fair enough but it'd be handy to be able to try some nice basses out.

I dont really like the feel of my '51 P bass to be totally honest, it's a lovely bass however since buying I've played basses that i've preferred as the '51 sounds a tad weak to me? maybe it just needs fiddling around with and being properly set up etc but thats something I can't warrant spending money on if I dont like the feel of the bass.

Well there won`t be a shortage of buyers on here if you decide to sell it Max, they are very well liked on here. The sound of those basses on their own I admit isn`t wonderful, but it`s in the mix where they shine, though their sound is somewhat limited. Depends on if you`re in a band or not, certainly for home practice I can see where you are coming from. The "regular" Precision has a lot more oomph to it - or at least in my view it does. Additionally, the Jazz, for solo playing has more variety and probably to most, a more pleasing sound.

[quote name='JustAverageMax' timestamp='1389984730' post='2340326']
I do check out PMT every now and then as its really close to my college but I know they dont like people just seeing what basses are like and then not buying them :( which is fair enough but it'd be handy to be able to try some nice basses out.

I dont really like the feel of my '51 P bass to be totally honest, it's a lovely bass however since buying I've played basses that i've preferred as the '51 sounds a tad weak to me? maybe it just needs fiddling around with and being properly set up etc but thats something I can't warrant spending money on if I dont like the feel of the bass.
[/quote]
They may not like people trying and then not buying them but it gives the store an indication of what people like or don't like, I often try to avoid stores in general, they never have a bass set up to how I like it and then get funny when I say, nope not for me, or tell them the setup wasn't great. These stores are there for us to try the basses in, only someone with silly amounts of money and no real idea buy without trying properly!