Why become a member? ×

N fretless BD

Bassassin

Well - yesterday (14th) actually, but I've fancied one of these for a while:

Did a straight swap with BC member alcytes for my [url="http://www.maya29.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/yambb/BBfrontfull.jpg"]1984 Yamaha BB400S fretless[/url] - the Yam was a great-playing bass & ticked the right vintage JapCrap boxes, but was ridiculously heavy and had a Precisionish character that I just wasn't after. I did wonder for a while if I'd done the right thing, but after getting my hands on the VMJ and giving it some light fettling, I'm proper happy!

It arrived in a hefty tweed case & suffering from some slight earthing issues which I had already been informed of. It was also wearing a Badass II, which I found I didn't have the right hex key for, so simply to get it playing better, I stuck on a Wilkinson BBOT from the parts bin. This sorted out the hum, too - looks like the earth wire hadn't been making contact.

At some point it had been strung with rounds and there's some light marking on the board - on a whim I attacked the neck with T-Cut, which reduced the marks & as can be seen, brought out a lovely gloss on the board. It's not quite epoxy-shiny but gives it a nice slippery feel.

I did have the ulterior motive of using the neck for a J project, using a body I've had for ages - but now I'm not sure, this is a sweet little bass in its own right, & it would seem a shame to part it.

Jon.

I'm pleased it works well for you :)
It's too nice to part out, in my opinion.

I wish I'd thought of T-Cut. I doubt I'd have had the nerve to try it though.

The Yamaha is heavy, but I'm only likely to play it sitting down so I am not too worried. (Also, I have a T-40...)

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1389862581' post='2338687']
Re the T-Cut on the neck, was it already glossed/sealed or was it just the wood?
[/quote]
It's an ebonol board, which I understand is a resin/paper laminate material, so I presume the finished surface is the resin itself. T-Cut is my go-to polish for a lot of different instrument cleaning & renovation jobs - I strongly recommend it it on scruffy poly lacquer, scratchplates & other plastics. So after trying it on an inconspicuous area (heel end of the board) I went for it. It's a very mild abrasive and there is potential for making a mess - you don't need much, I use just a dab from the inside of the lid.

Mike - doubt very strongly that I'll part this, there doesn't seem to be much point! Glad you like the Yam, but it is a hefty brute and that's my main reason for parting with it - I'd like a fretless I can gig with! I have a T-40 as well, makes my back hurt just looking at it! :lol:

J.