Why become a member? ×

Fender Geddy Lee jazz vs American Deluxe jazz

Guinness21

Fair point, trouble is the nearest shop that stocks Laklands is 4 trains away, taking 3 hours. Tbh I don't know too much about them, just heard they're good - but it's a long way to go and back in a day to check if there's one in particular I like. I already have 4 contenders, which I've played and really like.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1389815256' post='2338289']
Fair point, trouble is the nearest shop that stocks Laklands is 4 trains away, taking 3 hours. Tbh I don't know too much about them, just heard they're good - but it's a long way to go and back in a day to check if there's one in particular I like. I already have 4 contenders, which I've played and really like.
[/quote]
Wow...planes trains and automobiles! Shame...judging by your aparent preferences |I think you would like the Lakland P & J variants. Good luck with the Fenders amigo.

[attachment=152510:jazz bass 1.jpg][quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1389737092' post='2337448']
Could do with some help :)

I'm in the market for a second bass. I'm getting a scholarship at the end of the month which means my budget can just about stretch to an american deluxe jazz. There are other contenders - a 2eq stingray and an am. standard precision, but the jazzes are the front runners.

I've only been playing for about 18 months, and whilst I have quite an eclectic taste in music, never really listened to any Rush. I've heard Geddy's name on here and tb a lot, but only recently thought to look up his signature bass. With a badass bridge, I think american vintage pickups (?) and it's looks, it has to be considered.

I know the deluxe has active capabilities, but is it really worth the extra £££'s? Any help, or experience of either of these basses, would be much appreciated :happy:
[/quote]

I have a Japan Fender Geddy Lee jazz, and I love it. As the top poster said, the pickups are aggressive, the styling is quite nice, the neck profile's slimness is great for me (some arthritis issues) and the bass is made with care and is a dream to play--Rotosounds round it out with massive response. I love the growl of this bass with the tone turned up a bit. Mind you, it's a Japan Fender, not Mexican; I believe the Geddys are made (or also made) in Mexico now, and some people have had issues with them. Not me, though. i got mine secondhand for $750, but new they go for about $900 here, with case extra. As far as I'm concerned, I'd never need a different jazz.

W.

This is just my opinion but I find the whole concept of the Fender Deluxe range a bit strange; for me Fender is about classic styling & a classic sound (which is why I'm going to buy Fender as my 4-string later this year) - most if not all of the bassists of the past that made Fender so popular were using passive basses & that is the sound that I associate with Fender. If you like the Fender look but want a modern active sound I would definitely look more towards the other brands that borrow the Fender look but pack all the modern bits in - for the price of a deluxe you could get a killer bass from one of the others...

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1389865609' post='2338726']
This is just my opinion but I find the whole concept of the Fender Deluxe range a bit strange; for me Fender is about classic styling & a classic sound (which is why I'm going to buy Fender as my 4-string later this year) - most if not all of the bassists of the past that made Fender so popular were using passive basses & that is the sound that I associate with Fender. If you like the Fender look but want a modern active sound I would definitely look more towards the other brands that borrow the Fender look but pack all the modern bits in - for the price of a deluxe you could get a killer bass from one of the others...
[/quote]
the 2010 onwards deluxes have an active/passive toggle switch so the vintage Fender sounds are there too.
Personally i think the new Deluxes are fantastic instruments,just wish i could afford one.