Why become a member? ×

Disabling or replacing piezo tweeter in MarkBass CMD121P combo?

mcnach

I've put the original tweeter back in, the horn sounded good at low volumes, but at rehersal volume I found that because it was not a perfect fit, it seemed to chuff a little with the air escaping around the sides, probably because theses things create so much internal pressure air leakng from places that they shouldn't do is not a good idea, anyway the original tweeter is back in and I just turn the VLE up a little to eq out the hiss, this is still a brill combo, I've got through a hell of a lot of high end combos over the years, and regardless of the annoying tweeter, this is still one of the best overall packages.....particularly when paired with the NY extension combo, maybe when Mark bass do their next upgrade they will allow you to control the tweeter like you can on the extension cab....

Thanks for the update. It's strange that you heard chuffing even though you opened the hole to allow the horn to fit flush. To be honest, at the high sound levels I use the combo plus NY121 at, I won't hear a bit of air escaping around the horn.

• 1 year later...

i know this is an old topic, and there's been a lot of tech-talk on how to handle attenuating the horn on a bass cab.
taking it out...cutting wires..replacing it..blah blah..

So here's a very simple cheap easy fix:
Take off the speaker grill and get a bit of foam and stick in front of the tweeter...
use the speaker grill to keep it in place ... é voila

thight less dense foam will let some highs thru, and the dense stuff pads it off completely.
I cut a circle of foam and made a hole in the middle like a squashed corn plaster.
Experiment...
It works a treat!

when you want to sell ..remove the foam...back to square one

Edited by Shonks