Why become a member? ×

Garageband or Cubase LE ?

StanRobinson

Being an ol' trad. analogue fart I've realised I've actually got the gear to try my hand at this digital recording lark. I've got Garageband free on my laptop and Cubase LE bundled with my mixer.
Which would you use?
I did play around with Cubase in the old midi / atari days but I suspect those grey cells have been wiped.

Any advice appreciated.

SR

I'd recommend trying both of them and seeing which one you get along with best. In my experience, garageband is easier to get started with and actually getting something down is a ridiculously easy affair - however it lacks any features worthy of note for doing anything except a very basic mix, with no support for 3rd party plugins, iirc. It feels like a very stripped down version of Logic 8, but you can get some great results out of it in very little time.

Cubase is a very good program nowadays, and I've spoken to several people who have ditched their protools or logic rigs in favour of Cubase on a PC - it's stable and has lots of good, professional features - not sure about the LE version though. It will probably be a bit harder to get started on, but if you're planning on doing any advanced projects, I'd say it's more flexible.

So, you've got the ease-of-use of Garageband vs. the flexibility of Cubase, so spend a day with each and see which one you like. Now reaper have finally got their act together and are releasing a version for Mac, I'll be ditching protools in favour of reaper in the near future, but only when they've finished the Mac version and it works as smoothly as the PC version!

Hope this helps, but sometimes you've just got to have a play around and see which environment you prefer working in - I've been through most sequencers trying to find the perfect environment for me, and I keep going back and forth between Logic and Protools depending on what I want to accomplish in a project.

[quote name='StanRobinson' post='230615' date='Jul 1 2008, 03:44 PM']Being an ol' trad. analogue fart I've realised I've actually got the gear to try my hand at this digital recording lark. I've got Garageband free on my laptop and Cubase LE bundled with my mixer.
Which would you use?
I did play around with Cubase in the old midi / atari days but I suspect those grey cells have been wiped.

Any advice appreciated.

SR[/quote]

GarageBand is fab! Enjoy comparing the two.

I just got an M-Audio iControl for GarageBand from an Apple store in the USA last week (told it was the last in the store and got it for USD 50.00 instead of the usual USD 99.00!!!) and it's just the biz with this superb and immensely enjoyable piece of music creation software from 'ol Apple.

Just some thoughts...

Ciao

Ian

I would advice cubase although its against my better nature. If you find you enjoy it I would suggest saving for Pro-tools LE or Logic. Much more user friendly and capable of better results IMHO and wont set you back as much as youd expect these days :)

If you want to use prerecorded loops and just play over the top then garage band is for you , Instant gratification.

If you want to get into recording seriously or use midi in a big way, Cuebase is the way to go.
Cuebase Le is just a cut down version so should be simpler to use then it big brother.

The old Cuebase vs., Logic, or Protocols debate, each has its + and – sides to it, in fact It is more like witch is best a Strat or a Les Paul debate.
There is a lot of naïve snobbery about which is best but it is down to the user rather than the software that determines the results, so If your mix sucks in Cuebase or Garage band it will suck in logic or protools.

Saying all that Logic 8 seems a good buy at the moment.

Edited by ironside1966