Why become a member? ×

Combo advice

simwells

Hi

I'm after a portable practise bass amp, budget of £350 (can be pushed but only a very small amount).

Will be playing a 6 string Ibanez BTB406QM through it.

And I'm just wondering what people recommend, after looking at all sorts of other reviews threads online I'm leaning towards an Ampeg BA115T (or just the 115 depending upon how noticable the tube preamp actually is). Second hand is also an option.

I'm not a fan of Hartke or Fender amps also from using them so would rather steer clear of them.

What do people think of this
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trace-Elliot-7210H-SM-Combo-and-1153T-Extension-Cab_W0QQitemZ160256157372QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160256157372&_trkparms=72%3A638%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trace-Elliot-7210H-S...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

I've not used much Trace Elliot

I know it comes with the extra 1x15" but I don't exactly have to keep it.

Also just to let you know rigs I've seen that have interested me so far:

SWR Workingman 15"
Gallien Krueger RB700II - sadly just missed out on one on here
Ashdown ABM C115-500 EVO III
and Ampeg BA115(T) - can't connect an external cab to it though

Out of that list I'd recommend Ashdown, although I'd be more inclined to go for the 2x10 combo rather than the 1x15. I'm not a big Trace fan, but if you like the tone that looks like a pretty good deal to me.

I have to agree with bass ferret. If you're not gonna get to try any I would lean towards the GK & SWR stuff. Ashdown stuff looks great but it is a case of love or loathe.
Ampeg is pretty pants unless you're going for the higher end stuff & then it seems to be either you love it or it's just not quite there.
Try & get a blast on as much stuff as you can, it will help you decide what sound you're after.
I saw that Trace rig & it seems like a good deal & the 15" would come in handy later for gigs. I've used a few Trace rigs & the earlier ones are better than the new ones.

Try Roland combo's - they're great. I have a DB700 that's I use as a subwoofer for the big soul band PA - it was super-reliable as a bass combo, but I upgraded to a PJB Suitcase +4B rig (which is awesome but in a different price bracket!)

Oops - late post....hope you like the SWR - I got a Big Ben 1x18 cabinet that I love and can't bring myself to sell!

Edited by Lo.

I guess it's a case of "one mans meat...etc", but among other things I've had my Trace Elliot GP12SMX combo (1x15) for about the last 12 years and it handles my 4, 5 & 6-stringers just fine. Fretless too. The 12-band graphic is certainly better than the 7-band if you're using a 6-string - it has the low 30hz band for that B string (assuming you're tuning to low B?).

xgsjx is correct, though, when he says earlier models are better.

Good luck and hope you find the right one! :)