Why become a member? ×

Surely this is the best pickup configuration.

hamfist

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1389010897' post='2328660']
I reckon my pickup positioning is perfect. And, as I mentioned before, the blended tones are surprisingly excellent too.
[/quote]

Cool man. That's a real bonus that you've found what really works for you. It's also good that you've got the confidence to mod your basses to suit your needs, as those are such unusual placements.

I'd be happy enough with a single bridge positioned (as per Sandberg position) humbucker that switched between parallel and series. Volume and tone controls on that bad boy and I'd be covered for the sounds I want.

BTW, I really like what you've done to that other Thunder ... very nice indeed.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1389020124' post='2328841']

Cool man. That's a real bonus that you've found what really works for you. It's also good that you've got the confidence to mod your basses to suit your needs, as those are such unusual placements.

I'd be happy enough with a single bridge positioned (as per Sandberg position) humbucker that switched between parallel and series. Volume and tone controls on that bad boy and I'd be covered for the sounds I want.

BTW, I really like what you've done to that other Thunder ... very nice indeed.
[/quote]

Thanks Fionn. And yes I am aware that my preferences are very much my individual ones, that will not suit many, many other folks. However, I think there's a little bit of all of us which thinks that everyone else really should be like us though !

Out of interest what types and styles of music do you play and get the sounds you want all out of a bridge pickup ?

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1389023369' post='2328909']
Out of interest what types and styles of music do you play and get the sounds you want all out of a bridge pickup ?
[/quote]

Stylewise, I suppose I'm predominantly a fingerstyle funk player. Stabby, stacatto, I like playing clean pronounced lines, so I find myself almost always on the bridge pickup. I like the tightness and focus of the tone. My right hand is mostly playing at the bridge pickup postition too.

I'm in a new project, arranging ancient Gaelic song (mostly puirt-a-beul) onto thick grooves. It's sounding great. Should be gigging it by summer :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1389028912' post='2329026']

[/quote]

Now please don't get me wrong and, yes, those are very similar pickups but the positioning of the bridge pickup will make it sound a hell of a lot different to a humbucker tucked right up against the P pickup, which is actually my point.

Yes, there are a number of basses around with a MM or humbucker somewhere in the bridge position and a P pickup somewhere around the neck. BUT ... you can only get them very close to the Fender and MM sweetspots IF you literally abutt them right up to each other. If you have space in between the pickups they won't necessarily sound cr@p but they will sound significantly different to a Fender P and a MM Stingray.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1389034524' post='2329126']

I do like the colour.
[/quote]

Thanks ! I initially wanted to do it in a very light blue, but couldn't get the right colour in the type of paint that I wanted. But they had this green shade available and I'm really pleased with how it came out. It's turned out pretty hard-wearing so far too.