Why become a member? ×

Trying out different Pots. Anyone remember the thread ?

essexbasscat

Hi all

There was a thread around here a while ago where someone tried one or two different potentiometers in their bass. They didn't use the tried and tested CTS pots, but an alternative. I remember they waited for the pot to arrive, installed it and reported back with their findings.

I've had a search, but can't find the thread.

I've just bought some Fralins for my RW P bass and would like to install the best pots for the job. Ideally,
I'm looking for some high quality pots that have just a bit of 'weight' to them when they're turned. Not sluggish drag or grinding resistance, but a well engineered positive feel.

Can anyone recommend some high quality pots or recall the thread ?

Thanks BC :)

EBC

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1388750829' post='2325521']
Sound is such a subjective thing, and best quality electrically doesn't always equate to a pleasing sound.
[/quote]

Ok, I'm curious. Can you expand on this a bit ?

Edited by essexbasscat

I normally use & recommend CTS pots, they have metal shafts not plastic, the plastic shafts were used in some guitars years ago but mostly in amps. They are also the best 'feel' the best reliability & subjectively - the best for 'tone'.

You are not going to hear any difference between comparable pots with any pair of human ears :o except hiss & crackle, pops & farts, that maybe down to dirty or worn internals.

Alpha are the recognised 'Industry standard', a budget version if you like, although higher quality than what you find in most Far Eastern, & many European, origin guitars these days.

CTS are basically the same top quality components that have been used in USA Fenders & many others since electric guitars began, failures are very few & far between unless they are mis-treated.

In the electronics industry Bourns are very highly regarded, for quality, precision & repeatability - far above any such requirements for our ever so basic needs, which is reflected in the price of some of their pots.

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1388749375' post='2325496']
Excellent 6v6 and thank you. Is there any difference in sound quality between the three ? are PEC worth the extra in your opinion ?
[/quote]

I've never tried the PEC's, because I don't believe they are worth the extra - I've used Alpha's exclusively for several years in multiple amp builds, after starting out using CTS.

IMO there will be no difference in sound quality in a passive bass guitar circuit.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1388753463' post='2325568']
I normally use & recommend CTS pots, they have metal shafts not plastic, the plastic shafts were used in some guitars years ago but mostly in amps. They are also the best 'feel' the best reliability & subjectively - the best for 'tone'.
[/quote]

Interesting - I have a bag of them with plastic shafts (bought about 10 years ago admittedly), some had an inconsistent and light feel to them, so I moved to using Alpha, sound the same and to me they feel better/more consistent. Maybe time to try CTS again next time I order tho. :)

Thanks all :)

I did wonder if CTS pots were regarded in much the same way as the SM58 microphone, an industry standard that so many people bought because it seemed that everyone else did. However, the CTS pots do appear to be highly regarded in their own right.

I still wouldn't mind finding that old thread though where someone tested another high end pot.

Thanks again