Why become a member? ×

Radius search?

topo morto

[quote name='topo morto' timestamp='1388709638' post='2325290']
Is there any way in the 'for sale' forums to search for stuff within a certain radius of where you are?
[/quote]

Unfortunately not.

There is no obligatory field for location that we can use (mine just says 'in your router').

Thought not, just checking. It would be very cool if there were an optional (perhaps invisible?) postcode you could put in either to your profile or to a 'for sale' thread to be passed into some postcode distance API but it would probably be a lorra lorra work.

Another option might be to show location after the '[size=2][color=#A4A4A4]Started by [/color][/size][url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/3539-geofio/"][size=2][color=#A4A4A4]xxxxx[/color][/size][/url][size=2][color=#A4A4A4], 22 Dec 2013[/color][/size]' bit in the main forum view for the for sale forums only, but obviously that wouldn't be of much use with comedy locations!

Edited by topo morto

Comedy locations like Silicon Fen? :D

It would have worked if we'd collected accurate address information from day one, but going back to correct it retrospectively would be an enormous task now.

I can see a vague way through this, but I'll need to have a think about it and see if there's an appetite to do it. :)

It's a good point, though I can see it would be tricky to actually implement.

I've often wondered why people advertise their stuff for sale and state 'collection only' without giving any clues about where they are. Even stating a county would be helpful.

I've bought stuff via BC that I probably didn't really need (ha! - who hasn't!) simply because it was local to me. Without a location in the advert I wouldn't have bothered asking to find out where the seller was.

Well it's only a vague idea, and not one that I've thought through or looked into the practicalities of, but I'm imagining a postcode field on the form you have to fill in to state the value of the goods you're selling OR a country.

We could probably pull a usable approximation of location from the first couple of characters of a postcode and if it's a different country, we could display that instead.

It's only a half baked 'off the top of my head' solution to a question though, so please don't take it as 'we're gonna do this' or you'll get me shot. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1388852330' post='2326879']...'we're gonna do this'...[/quote]

Ah..! Really, really pleased that this will, at last, be implemented, and very soon, it would seem. Excellent initiative which, I'm sure, will win the attention of the admins of the site and a sterling reaction in proportion to its importance. I'm sure the cost of doing this will be eagerly born by the upper authorities. Well done for going through with this. :mellow:

([i]Note to admins: can I volunteer to be in the firing squad, please..?[/i] :ph34r: )

:lol: :P