Why become a member? ×

Violin, C J Gurnsey, dated 1929
£500

I's prefer a straight sale rather than any trade, but if you think you might have anything interesting, I'd be open to suggestions.

Amati, the violin auction house has valued this instrument in the 'mid hundreds, possibly more'. Made in 1929 by a C J Gurnsey, an amateur maker working from Harrow, it was sold to a relative of mine in 1945, and comes complete with the invoice and related correspondence from that sale.

This instrument desperately needs someone able to play it, nurture it and restore it cosmetically. There is the original case, but no bow, and the Amati valuation takes this into consideration, as well as the cosmetic and playing condition. There is one small area of damage to the lower bout, but this has no impact on the tone, and it has one string missing at the moment.

A friend who plays violin for the Kuopio Symphony Orchestra in Finland, has played the instrument and commented on the tone, which compared favourably with his working instrument worth many times more.

The damage:

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1388488983' post='2322507']
Wow that would of been a very expensive instrument when new £35 was a serious wedge of cash back then GLWTS mate :)
[/quote]

Thanks Thunderbird. I don't play it, and it's just been lying around doing nothing for the last few decades. It needs someone to take it on and get using it.

Using an online inflation calculator, £35 in 1945 would be worth just over £1000 today apparently.

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1388746689' post='2325458']
I know nothing about Violins :) but isn't it a left handed model? Interesting restoration project B)
[/quote]

Nearly. It's an Antipodean inverted model. There is a gyroscopic azimuth mount that takes into account your latitude with regard to the equator, but I'll be keeping that for use with my biscuit-tower building skills. Beating the record of 271 vertically stacked custard creams is on the cards.

The restoration required is cosmetic, and shouldn't trouble any luthier/violin maker.

As promised, transcript of some correspondence:
Buyer to maker, 5/6/45

[indent=1]Dear Mr Gurnsey,[/indent]

[indent=1]The violin arrived safely and I have tried it. It is a good instrument, 6 oz heavier than mine and a little better tone. I did not expect a new instrument, as I told Mr Wolfe I was looking for an old mellow violin, but I hope to find time to make a decision this week end.[/indent]

[indent=1]As a modern violin, it is a credit to the maker, shape, wood and balance being first order.[/indent]

[indent=1]Yours sincerely, A.F. Sergeant[/indent]

(Alan served with the British Army at some point, and in their infinite wisdom, they actually made him a Sergeant. He worked for Friths Postcards as a photographer for some time as well)

• 4 weeks later...