Why become a member? ×

help with valuation - Aria SB-R150 fretless

S&L

I have an Aria pro II SB-R150 fretless generally as this spec:
[url="http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass/sb/sb.html"]http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass/sb/sb.html[/url]
in good condition, fretless, through neck, brass bridge metalwork. active with a battery compartment to the rear. I picked it up from the bass place in Birmingham in the early 90's and stopped playing live in '94. it's in very decent condition and she plays beautifully, things being what they are, with a heavy heart, i'm contemplating sale.
and here we come to the problem. When i talked to aria about another of my basses just after i bought this, i was given the impressionit was quite rare and that only 5 or so were ever imported into the country. at the time they told me I should insure it for £1,000 - that was over 20 years ago. I have seen it's little sister the sb1000 for sale for anywhere between £600 and £1000.
Of course, just because they are for sale at that price, doesn't mean they will sell at that price. So how would I go about getting a value placed on her?
Does anybody here collect Aria basses? could someone point me in the right direction?
[attachment=151206:IMG_0870.JPG]

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1388372686' post='2321342']
Introduced as the top of the range model, costing Y150,000. Earliest examples have serial numbers dating to '82, with production lasting over three years. Certainly less common than the likes of the 1000, but not the rarest of the Matsumoku era SBs, which makes me wonder about the quoted figure of five brought into the UK. I currently own three, two fretted and one fretless - two of which have been mine since the 80s. Quite recently, one BCer bought one (fretted) for circa £430 (including original APII branded hardcase), and another two have gone on eBay, the lowest for £403. Personally, I think you'd be lucky to get anywhere close to £600. Might even be pushing it at £500.
[/quote]

Lovely Aria bass, using ebay as a guage to the value of something can be a little misleading, I find.
The quality of the pictures used, the location of the instrument, the sellers feedback, the postage options and the time of the month can all affect the price.
For what it's worth, I sold my SBR-80 with a generic hard case for £560 on ebay earlier this year, would have liked to keep it but wasn't getting on with the slim neck.
If it was my bass to sell I'd auction it on ebay with a realistic reserve.
Good luck with your sale S&L.

thanks guys.
Noel - the figure of 5 related specifically to SBR-150 fretless - no idea how true it was though - i was talking to them about replacement pick ups for my elite at the time. I'm now wondering if i would raise as much cash selling my area pro 2 elite 2 in midnight blue.
this gives me a starting point for the fretless though. from what you are all saying - sell it on ebay, reserve at 400, accept 500 and hope for more. does that sound about right?

[quote name='S&L' timestamp='1388402731' post='2321495']
thanks guys.
Noel - the figure of 5 related specifically to SBR-150 fretless - no idea how true it was though - i was talking to them about replacement pick ups for my elite at the time. I'm now wondering if i would raise as much cash selling my area pro 2 elite 2 in midnight blue.
this gives me a starting point for the fretless though. from what you are all saying - sell it on ebay, reserve at 400, accept 500 and hope for more. does that sound about right?
[/quote]

List it for sale at what you want on BC first, if it doesn't sell here, then eBay
C