Why become a member? ×

My new cab is on the way! Schroeder content...

wateroftyne

Hi all

Jorg Schroeder has been in touch to say my 410L is being picked up today. I should have it in a few days. :)

It's a wee bit customised.. here's a little teaser:

Mwahahahaha!

If it works out OK (which I'm sure it will), my much-loved 21012L will be making an appearance in the classifieds...

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='229748' date='Jun 30 2008, 02:46 PM']WOT have you played the robin2 yet????[/quote]

Hello!

I certainly have... a rainy Wednesday night a couple of months back. Turnout wasn't great, but the punters that came were well into it. It's a great gig & venue! They made us a lovely lasagne...

We're going back for a weekend gig next year, I think....

Sooner rather than later!

It'll be interesting to hear the 21012L and the 410L head-to-head. There's not supposed to be much between them - The 21012L is an amazing cab, but I think the 410L will be a better match for my bottom-heavy M-Pulse head and flatwound strings.

Christ on a bike... it's here!

Collected from Los Angeles on Monday, arrives here first thing on Thursday morning. Unbelieveable.

I'm at work, so I've just pulled it out the box to check it's OK, and it's unscathed. And it looks TOTALLY cool.

The best news is I've got three gigs in four days starting tonight. Mwahahahaha!!

Thats amazingly quick. As a word of warning mine sounded a little woofy and brittle the first time I used it properly as the neo's really needed a bit of running in. Roughly 50 hours of use later it's completely opened up and sounds huge. You have a great pair of cabs to choose from! I think I might have to get another smaller one for little gigs. I'd be really interested to hear how it compares to the 21012.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='231902' date='Jul 3 2008, 12:22 PM']Out of interest can i ask why you went for this particular cab over another light 410 like a UL410?[/quote]

Good question!

My methods are far from scientific, to be honest. I looked at reviews of loads of 410s, 212s, without actually being able to try them. I'm sure there's loads of great cabs out there from Epi, Berg, Genz, etc.

The fact is, I love the 21012L dearly, but for my needs I wanted a slightly tighter bottom-end (fat, tubey head, flatwounds) and the 410L seems to offer what my 21012L does, plus the little extra I need.

The Schroeders seem to have a bit of 'heft and throw' about them that I haven't experienced with other cabs.

Plus, Jorg is a great guy.

Plus, this fits in the cupboard under my staircase. The Epi is about 1" too deep. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='231917' date='Jul 3 2008, 12:43 PM']Good question!

My methods are far from scientific, to be honest. I looked at reviews of loads of 410s, 212s, without actually being able to try them. I'm sure there's loads of great cabs out there from Epi, Berg, Genz, etc.

The fact is, I love the 21012L dearly, but for my needs I wanted a slightly tighter bottom-end (fat, tubey head, flatwounds) and the 410L seems to offer what my 21012L does, plus the little extra I need.

The Schroeders seem to have a bit of 'heft and throw' about them that I haven't experienced with other cabs.

Plus, Jorg is a great guy.

Plus, this fits in the cupboard under my staircase. The Epi is about 1" too deep. :)[/quote]

Cheers.

Good answers. I know what you mean about about the "heft and throw". I find the same with my 12xx cabs over anything i else i have used recently. Jorg certainly knows how to build a good cab.
And yes, he is a great person to deal with.

I just wished i had known about you selling your 21012L before i went and got my 1212L (not that there's anything wrong with it). the new drivers do seem nice and slightly warmer.
I tried a 1212L out about a year ago and loved it but from what i can recall mine sounds slightly warmer and rounder (and this is before the drivers have had a good breaking in period).

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='231917' date='Jul 3 2008, 12:43 PM']Plus, this fits in the cupboard under my staircase. The Epi is about 1" too deep. :huh:[/quote]

Ha ha
A perfectly good reason.

When I spec-ed out the requirements for my Bergantino cabs to replace my Schroeder they had to fit in the same cupboard space under the stairs. It's a back/marriage saver ...

Mark at Bass Direct was going "Listen to the sound, the clarity, the definition, the tight low end, the response" and I'm saying yeah but if they don't fit my cupboard all of that is irrelevant :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='231976' date='Jul 3 2008, 01:30 PM']Ha ha
A perfectly good reason.

When I spec-ed out the requirements for my Bergantino cabs to replace my Schroeder they had to fit in the same cupboard space under the stairs. It's a back/marriage saver ...

Mark at Bass Direct was going "Listen to the sound, the clarity, the definition, the tight low end, the response" and I'm saying yeah but if they don't fit my cupboard all of that is irrelevant :)[/quote]

I know what you mean.

I had to get a 1212L recently to replace my UL212 as that cab wouldn't fit in the car with the rest of the gear, me the singer and guitarist. Up to that point i was going to gigs with the drummer but he left for a while so i had to go with the others.
Same with my other band. My 1210R sits next to a bass drum with the guitarist on the other side, all on the back seat of my drummers car. Doesn't matter what it sounds like, noting else that powerful and loud would fit.
luckily though that i love my 12xx cabs. Im going to replace my 1210R with a 1212L later this year if i can afford it (or even look at getting a Schroeder 1215L now that our drummers back again)

Not being able to drive has always meant that gear size needs to be kept to a minimum. It would be great to use a two cab rig but i never have.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='231986' date='Jul 3 2008, 01:38 PM']Not being able to drive has always meant that gear size needs to be kept to a minimum. It would be great to use a two cab rig but i never have.[/quote]

Well the little 2x Berg AE12 stack is great for many reasons beyond the great sound. [i]Almost[/i] a single trip in with the MB head and one bass (though I never ever have such a small amount of gear on real gigs)

So WOT, does your new grille have "Northern [b]Country[/b] Rock" on it? :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='232023' date='Jul 3 2008, 02:16 PM']Well the little 2x Berg AE12 stack is great for many reasons beyond the great sound. [i]Almost[/i] a single trip in with the MB head and one bass (though I never ever have such a small amount of gear on real gigs)[/quote]

I can actually carry all my gear in in one trip. Bass and amp on back, cab in one hand. All my leads, wireless system ect in the amp bag (MB bag)........

I then make about 5 other trips bringing in the drums, PA speakers, a combo or two etc etc. :-(

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='232028' date='Jul 3 2008, 02:23 PM']I can actually carry all my gear in in one trip. Bass and amp on back, cab in one hand. All my leads, wireless system ect in the amp bag (MB bag)........

I then make about 5 other trips bringing in the drums, PA speakers, a combo or two etc etc. :-([/quote]

Huuuuuuum a very common situation :)

Back home after the first gig...

HOW COOL IS THIS CAB??

I've just done a gig with my 'other' band - a boomy, muddy stage with FOH support. It's EXACTLY as I hoped... just like the 21012L with a tighter low end. Still plenty of bottom end, but tighter. The 21012L is definitely a Solid State and/or roundwound cab. I can't wait for tomorrow's gig...!

One downside, though... there's a slight 'flapping' coming from the slanted baffle area when you hit a low 'G'. It's not noticeable in the mix. I emailed Jorg who immediatey replied with some suggestions, and [i]'not to worry, I'll take care of you if you need a replacement;'[/i]. He's a class act...

Edited by wateroftyne