Why become a member? ×

I've seen the light(weight)!

4-string-thing

[color="#000000"]I’ve recently decided that small and light is the way to go, I’m 51 and quite frankly, the thought of lugging my big, old, heavy rig around is putting me off joining any gigging band![/color]
[color="#000000"]I bought a Markbass Minimark a few months ago and have decided that this, along with an extension cab, would be adequate for most gigs that I am ever likely to do. [/color]
[color="#000000"]Now, here is my question. I have a plan in my head that involves using a wooden rack case that I bought ages ago from Maplin as the basis of a 2x6” cab. It’s exactly the same width as the Minimark, slightly deeper and a bit taller (when it’s stood on it’s end) and is carpet covered so looks pretty much like the amp. I’m wondering if this is a bad idea, the combo has 2x6” drivers, so another 2 in a cab that stacks 4 vertically is the plan. If so, does anybody know where I can get another pair of drivers the same as the ones in the Minimark? Or an alternative? Also, I have no idea about ports etc…..[/color]
[color="#000000"]Any advice welcome, and thanks in advance![/color]

MarkBass use B&C drivers. Blue Aran sell the 6" drivers for £90 a piece. You'll want to make sure the box dimensions & ports suit the drivers.

http://www.bluearan.com/index.php?id=BAC6PS38&browsemode=manufacturer

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1388235899' post='2319753']
Yes, I did think about moving the baffle and rear panel in a bit to reduce the volume to match the Minimark.

Loz, would my knackered old ears really be able to tell the difference if I used Eminence drivers instead? Half the cost, 4ohms and available now, no 45 day wait like there is with the B&C's.
[/quote]
The dimensions of the minimark will have been calculated precisely to suit the specs of the drivers. You'd be doing well to recreate those dimensions as exactly as you can. Using different drivers would be unadvisable and you would also need to calculate what dimensions would be needed for the new drivers.
Finally you need to wire them right. I'm guessing you want the 2nd cab to have an impedance of 8ohm if thats what the current one is so it's either two 16ohm drivers in parallel or two 4 ohm drivers in series. If you build it let's see some pics! Happy building.

Edited by mrtcat

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1388235899' post='2319753']
Yes, I did think about moving the baffle and rear panel in a bit to reduce the volume to match the Minimark.

Loz, would my knackered old ears really be able to tell the difference if I used Eminence drivers instead? Half the cost, 4ohms and available now, no 45 day wait like there is with the B&C's.
[/quote]

Well I like Eminence speakers, but they do seem to have a "sound" to them - think Ampeg. To me they are creamier sounding than Markbass speakers, though assuming they work ok in the cab you intend putting them in this may work nicely and add a bit of warmth to the sound (assuming you like the warm sound that is).

I like Eminence too Lozz, I've had my Acoustic rig for over 30 years with Eminence drivers, and when I swapped them, I used Eminence Alpha 15's. I like the warm, old school sound, so perhaps they would be a better choice!

At the end of the day, its just a small extension cab to get the full 250w from the Minimark and to raise it off the floor a bit.

As far as I'm aware Eminence don't do a 6" driver that's at all suitable for bass, certainly not in the same league as the expensive B&C models. Before you drop what would be a lot of money on some B&C drivers, it'd be worth checking that the OEM ones in your combo are actually the same as the ones available - those ones linked above are ceramics and relatively heavy. Does the minimark use those or something more akin to the neo versions here? http://www.bcspeakers.com/products/lf-driver-neo/6-5/6ndl38
They might even have a cheaper OEM-only model in which case it gets more complicated.
A vertical 4x6 would be a nice rig but not a cheap way of getting to that sound level! Bear in mind also that Markbass seem to have updated the minimark to a 2x8 - might ultimately be a better way to go? From 6 to 8 inches is a lot more cone area. I'd also want to be sure that, if using a rack case, it was up to scratch as a speaker cab.