Why become a member? ×

Blending pickups?

dove

I have a realist and an underwood on my db. I like both individually into my PJB Flightcase single input amp,but would
like to blend them.In the studio this give great results but the only blender I have is an lr baggs
and to my ear no matter how I set it up, the sound of both pickups is degraded substantially by going
through the unit.It gives me a blend capability which I can hear has potential but with too much loss
to the original signals.I did buy the unit second hand but i don't think it is faulty. There's a KandK dual blender
but at £100 again I'm suspicious.Next up seems to be something like the shertler yellow but it starts getting
pricey.I have thought about trading the PJB for the a AI coda plus which gives the extra input, so no blender
needed, and I think a great amp for not a lot more money.
If anyone has any suggestions for just blending the signals cleanly and cheaply i would be most grateful.Some
control over each pu's phase will also be necessary I think.

The K&K blenders are great jobs - I had two: one for a mic/pickup mix and one for a two pickup setup. Both worked great and I'd still have them if they could have been powered by an adapter rather than a battery. Phasing shouldn't really be an issue seeing as the signals are two different sources rather than a duplicate source. (Said from experience rather than anything remotely scientific). With that in mind you could also use a BOSS LS-2 Line Selector pedal. The 1Mohm input impedance is a handy bonus too.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1388086517' post='2318443']
The K&K blenders are great jobs - I had two: one for a mic/pickup mix and one for a two pickup setup. Both worked great and I'd still have them if they could have been powered by an adapter rather than a battery. Phasing shouldn't really be an issue seeing as the signals are two different sources rather than a duplicate source. (Said from experience rather than anything remotely scientific). With that in mind you could also use a BOSS LS-2 Line Selector pedal. The 1Mohm input impedance is a handy bonus too.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback,reassuring to know the KandK will suffice.

I have blended that configuration of pickup in the past at have got excellent results. I love the bottom end of the Realist and the Underwood gives it clarity.

However I have done this using my EA Doubler and I know you don't really want to go down that route. But one thing to consider is being able to individually EQ the two pickups if possible. I like to be able to adjust the bass end of each pickup to get accurate results.

The Doubler has a variable phase knob which has helped in a couple of instances but hasn't been essential so far.

[quote name='TheG' timestamp='1388185752' post='2319362']
I have blended that configuration of pickup in the past at have got excellent results. I love the bottom end of the Realist and the Underwood gives it clarity.

However I have done this using my EA Doubler and I know you don't really want to go down that route. But one thing to consider is being able to individually EQ the two pickups if possible. I like to be able to adjust the bass end of each pickup to get accurate results.

The Doubler has a variable phase knob which has helped in a couple of instances but hasn't been essential so far.
[/quote]

Not familiar with the doubler but will google it.In the meantime I have bought an old fishman dual blender/preamp with the crown condenser
mic from ebay.These have been recommended to me before and I am always keen to get a mic into my setup,tricky as it is.At £150 I thought
it was worth a try.
Can't wait to try it out!

thanks again

Raven Labs made a good one, and they come up here sometimes for £150 ish. They are easiest run on 2x9v batteries, as they used an odd power supply and slightly dodgy mini jack power connectors. Designed for pickup/mic mixing, but equally does two pickups, with separate eq and phase switches and a great sounding DI.

I used one for a while, and was impressed by its functions and sound but really can't be bothered with pickup blending on gigs.

• 2 weeks later...

After using several blender/pre-amps (including LR Baggs, which was quite good) I have settled on [url="http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/speakers/live-sound/l1-t1-tonematch-audio-engine/"]Bose ToneMatch[/url] now for about a year. This lovely piece of kit works with my PJB Suitcase and Bose L1. I use a bass preset on my mag pickup (with compression) and a guitar preset for my AKG C411 PP condenser mic. Nice airy sound with good thump.

Thanks for bringing the Bose unit to my attention,I'd not seen it before.Looks very interesting indeed mmmmmmm…..I see you
use a mic,is that with a drummer??? I play in a trio ,nylon gtr,brush kit and upright with the vocals through the acoustic amp,so
not loud,and I've not been unable to use a mic p/u blend with any success?

Yes I play with drummers. The Bose L1 PA helps reduce feedback - seems to be a property of linear array speakers. The AKG mic will always feedback first but usually with enough volume headroom before that happens and if it's that loud then the mag pickup will always win, albeit with some loss of the nice acoustic sounds. When I play with jazz trio at lower volume using just the PJB it has never been a problem. Even with the mag pickup you can get feedback at some point because the contrabass body acts as a huge microphone. A couple of things about the Bose ToneMatch - it has phantom power for the AKG Condenser mic and it saves "scenes" so when you get the sound right (there is a lot of choice with EQ and compressor/limiter) then you just save it. This cuts gig set-up time and fiddling, usually in the dark with loads of people shouting drunkenly and barely enough room to stand.