Why become a member? ×

Carlsbro 90 combo speaker upgrade

Twincam

Ok I've only ever played small sub 30w practice amps. So I went and bought a cheap 1987 carsbro 90bg combo. The infamous cobra model I think. Which is a huge upgrade to me in power and tone. I know a few people have said there rubbish etc but I'm enjoying it.

So I have a few questions. Firstly it's working fine but would it be worth me replacing its old 15 inch speaker with a modern one, I'm worried that every time I turn it up it gonna blow lol.
Which leads me to the second question is there a way old equipment like this should be treated (no jokes lol). What about having it serviced is it a worthwhile thing while it's working fine?.

Decades ago, I used to have one and the speaker was pretty awful when turned up to a decent volume. I reckon if you upgraded it with just about anything it would sound better. I also had a carlsbro stingray, which is the cobras 150 watt big brother. The speakers in that used to fart all the time but when I connected the amp to a decent 2x15 cabinet, it actually sounded not bad.

If you're going to get it serviced you may as well ask the tech to fit a decent speaker in it at the same time. He might have one hanging about.

I had a Carlsberg Cobra 90 head theough 2 Marshall 15" cabs. As much as folk slagged it off (me included), it never got any "that sounds crap" comments.
I think a service would cost about as much as it's worth though.
As for drivers, measure the internal dimensions, convert that to litres & have a look on tinterweb at driver specs. Mind & take any ports into account.

I distinctly remember the power LED in my Cobra 90 used to flicker if I played a loud open E. Never inspired much confidence…and the head case was virtually empty. But, it worked well enough for 5 years or so and did plenty of gigs before being "upgraded" to a Tryselling it AH100.

There are better speakers these days, so as long as you aren't looking to make your money back, do it and enjoy.