Why become a member? ×

So why arent more bass cabs designed like this ....

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1387825536' post='2316207']
just I'm not sure that my bass amp would be flexible enough to eq in the right places, I guess ideally you use a power amp with inbuilt DSP and just plug a preamp into that... I understand that practically the horn design is better and more efficient etc... but how practically do you make it work?
[/quote]If you have at least a 5 band EQ then you have enough control for a horn loaded cab. It might not be for you with less than that. I use a Superfly now, before it I had a Hartke 3500, both have all the adjustability I need. PA is a lot more fussy, that's where a 31 band with auto RTA is almost indespensible.

[quote]@OP:
Low efficiency and at 56hz quite a high frequency rolloff. I doubt it's any good for metal. [/quote]The sensitivity of the Thunderchild is no lower than most 112s, and of those that claim having more most are lying. :blink:
A Fridge has a 58Hz f3, so that's not out of whack either. It's not a design that stacks well, you can use two with the upper cab inverted to keep the HF horns adjacent but any more and there will be integration issues. OTOH it's no worse than most other cabs in that respect either.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1387828778' post='2316276']
If you have at least a 5 band EQ then you have enough control for a horn loaded cab. It might not be for you with less than that. I use a Superfly now, before it I had a Hartke 3500, both have all the adjustability I need. PA is a lot more fussy, that's where a 31 band with auto RTA is almost indespensible.
[/quote] cheers for the reply Bill :) I've only got 4 bands, and not swept.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1387823076' post='2316160']
Read this:
[url="http://www.avsforum.com/t/1353217/speaker-shootout"]http://www.avsforum....peaker-shootout[/url]

Or the first page, anyway. The DR200 and DR250 are my designs, fully horn loaded, not just the tweeters. True, EQ is an absolute necessity, but that's true of all speakers, let alone high sensitivity pro-sound horns, because there are no rooms with flat response. Not that I recommend pro-sound PA cabs for home stereo/theater, this guys system is overkill to the nth degree. But there's no such thing as horn 'honk' with a well designed horn, be it a tweeter or a subwoofer. There are a lot of poorly done horns, though, so the notion is understandable.
[/quote]

Fair enough...
But looking at the frequency response curves in the link, they are far from flat!
So unless you're terribly lucky with your room response an awful lot of eq is going to be needed to get anywhere near even, which is a long way from "straight wire with gain"...
However, for PA gear near enough is usually good enough, it's mainly about high efficiency; I'm from a post production studio background and we rarely used horn loaded speakers, simply because they became terribly expensive if they were accurate.
I'm not saying horns are no good, the TADs we had were about the best speaker I've ever heard in any context!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1387875199' post='2316608']
Fair enough...
But looking at the frequency response curves in the link, they are far from flat!
[/quote]And how would you classify this?

That's an Avatar 4x10, and if you think that looks bad, you should see it at 30 degrees off-axis. :unsure:
Electric bass cabs are anything but flat response.

As for PA, the EAW KF850 was a benchmark for 20 years. This is what it looks like with and without processing:

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice