Why become a member? ×

A few Genz Benz ShuttleMAX 12.2 niggles!

jimbobothy

I've a couple of random bits here;

I've got a 2008 Shuttle 6.0 that has a rock solid power socket housing (it's the plastic housing that clips into the rear panel that the kettle lead plugs into), when I take the power lead out it doesn't shift at all. I recently sent back a ShuttleMAX 12.2 that I bought from new, when I originally pulled the power lead out, as it was such a tight fit, I broke or cracked one of the plastic retaining clips holding the housing in, meaning it moved a fair amount when subsequently removing the power cable. I received my replacement head today and although there has been no cracking noises the housing does still move a bit when I pull out the power lead, only by 1mm or so and I don't think it'll be an issue, just odd when compared to my 6.0 that doesn't.

Can any of you fellow Genz head owners compare how much your power cable housings move when you take the power leads out?

I think it's just a bit more annoying that anything else, especially when the head had an RRP of over £1000!!

Another point that I've just noticed now when I've been playing about with it, when I push too much into the pre-amp and the O/L led comes on, it does it in both FET and TUBE leds, even if I've only one of the channels I've selected. Seems a bit odd as I presumed the channel select switch would kill the signal to the 'not in use' preamp section, obviously not it seems, at least on my one! Any other people experienced similar on their 9.2 or 12.2 heads?

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks B)

Edited by jimbobothy

Hi Musicman20,

I just read the manual after I posted the LED question lol!

As far as I can tell the amp was a new replacement, however it's date of Q/C was 23/1/12, so it's nearly 2 years old! It works fine, just a bit naffed about the housing. It's not as bad as the broken one (err, obviously :rolleyes:) but still not too hot for a flagship amp IMHO.

I do wonder about whether what we buy 'new' from stores is new, or as new, reconditioned, reworked, a warranty fix etc etc. The amp I sent back was perfect apart from the housing breaking, the 'new' one I received to day had a few circular marks on the top, a sticky mark on one corner etc, all wiped off so no real loss. It was also placed incorrectly in it's bespoke padding in the box. All a bit suspect but it could have been a 'Friday' one I suppose, mmm,

What I've learnt from this is that if you're buying new then you're still taking a bit of a gamble, I think I'll just keep going for used stuff from now on to save the hassle :huh: !

Edited by jimbobothy

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1387565886' post='2313524']
Hi Musicman20,

I just read the manual after I posted the LED question lol!

As far as I can tell the amp was a new replacement, however it's date of Q/C was 23/1/12, so it's nearly 2 years old! It works fine, just a bit naffed about the housing. It's not as bad as the broken one (err, obviously :rolleyes:) but still not too hot for a flagship amp IMHO.

I do wonder about whether what we buy 'new' from stores is new, or as new, reconditioned, reworked, a warranty fix etc etc. The amp I sent back was perfect apart from the housing breaking, the 'new' one I received to day had a few circular marks on the top, a sticky mark on one corner etc, all wiped off so no real loss. It was also placed incorrectly in it's bespoke padding in the box. All a bit suspect but it could have been a 'Friday' one I suppose, mmm,

What I've learnt from this is that if you're buying new then you're still taking a bit of a gamble, I think I'll just keep going for used stuff from now on to save the hassle :huh: !
[/quote]

I agree. It's a bargain but buying new from big stores often means you have to take the risk of display items or retuned items.

I've returned things before when they've looked used. Really annoys me.

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1387628027' post='2313930']
... another question :P, anyone else think the internal fan is a bit loud? Not that it would be an issue when you're pumping out any volume I guess!
[/quote]

Hmm, now you've got me on that. My Shuttlemax 9.2 is very quiet, and my Streamliner 900 is more so! However, your amp does contain two 600W power amps...

It sounds like you aren't that sure about it. That's totally fine...if you aren't, just send it back.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1387649344' post='2314235']

Hmm, now you've got me on that. My Shuttlemax 9.2 is very quiet, and my Streamliner 900 is more so! However, your amp does contain two 600W power amps...

It sounds like you aren't that sure about it. That's totally fine...if you aren't, just send it back.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was offered that. Thing is I took the top off to have a look inside at the power socket housing and whilst doing so had a little poke around inside lol! It all works as it should albeit the things previously mentioned. Me being me I've mentioned this to the shop and am waiting for a reply whether I can still send it back! Might have shot myself in the foot but will have to wait and see tbh.

If I remember correctly the one I sent back also a had a fairly loud fan so hope that's normal. End of the day I've still got a good amp and if I can't send it back I'll ask for a partial refund or other form of compensation as the experience hasn't been great, 'new' in my book should actually be new! AFAIK it's not the shop's fault, could be the distributor sending out reworked items as new, however I don't really know, either way not a good way to do business I feel.

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1387713047' post='2314770']

Yeah, I was offered that. Thing is I took the top off to have a look inside at the power socket housing and whilst doing so had a little poke around inside lol! It all works as it should albeit the things previously mentioned. Me being me I've mentioned this to the shop and am waiting for a reply whether I can still send it back! Might have shot myself in the foot but will have to wait and see tbh.

If I remember correctly the one I sent back also a had a fairly loud fan so hope that's normal. End of the day I've still got a good amp and if I can't send it back I'll ask for a partial refund or other form of compensation as the experience hasn't been great, 'new' in my book should actually be new! AFAIK it's not the shop's fault, could be the distributor sending out reworked items as new, however I don't really know, either way not a good way to do business I feel.
[/quote]

Genz will have sent it sealed, so it was either Fender UK or the store.

I've had a similar issue with an expensive pedal, and after getting the same one back twice, I've now got a refund. Like you say, it isn't fair if you spend extra to get a new item and it isn't actually new! (Eg it's ex demo).

Thanks for all your comments, the shop has agreed to take the amp back and it will be going back in the New Year when Fender UK are back from their hols. [b][i]Hopefully[/i][/b] the next one will be in the condition that I expect a new one should be, if not I'll give up and ask for a refund :rolleyes:!

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1387795584' post='2315646']
Thanks for all your comments, the shop has agreed to take the amp back and it will be going back in the New Year when Fender UK are back from their hols. [b][i]Hopefully[/i][/b] the next one will be in the condition that I expect a new one should be, if not I'll give up and ask for a refund :rolleyes:!
[/quote]

Wise choice! It's their flagship amp...it needs to be right!

I'm sure Bass Direct could do one for you if you get a refund.

• jimbobothy changed the title to A few Genz Benz ShuttleMAX 12.2 niggles!