Why become a member? ×

9v battery connector broken

Ant_On_Bass

Ok so I just snapped my wire while trying to replace the battery, I've repaired before but the solder for some reason doesn't like sticking to this stuff, so I removed it n bought a couple connectors, foolishly didn't measure length and they dont quite fit, I can't seem to buy any longer than the length I already bought (14.5cm). I'm a total newbie with electrics I don't touch them normally so I dont really know anything about them, I was just wondering where I can get some longer or the wire it's self? Also what are the best ones to buy as they never feel that strong? Cheers Ant

[quote name='Ant_On_Bass' timestamp='1387536119' post='2313001']
Ok so I just snapped my wire while trying to replace the battery, I've repaired before but the solder for some reason doesn't like sticking to this stuff, so I removed it n bought a couple connectors, foolishly didn't measure length and they dont quite fit, I can't seem to buy any longer than the length I already bought (14.5cm). I'm a total newbie with electrics I don't touch them normally so I dont really know anything about them, I was just wondering where I can get some longer or the wire it's self? Also what are the best ones to buy as they never feel that strong? Cheers Ant
[/quote]

They're all pretty similar when it comes to quality.

RS do some with 250mm leads if that's any help?

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/battery-holders-mounts/0489021/

Maplins do both the soft plastic cover type and the rigid type. I recently replaced 2off on 2nd hand Jaydee that had been replaced with rigid type. Batteries were that tight in the compartment whoever fitted them actually dented the batteries. I think the leads were approx. 6-8" length. If these aren't long enough extend the cables and use heat shrink to cover the soldered extension. Remember when extending cables to make sure you split the cores and twist together before soldering. Slide the heat shrink over the joint and use hair drier or if you are careful the soldering bolt to shrink.

Dave