Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tone Hammer, Pedal or Amp

KennysFord

Hey Folks,
I'm having trouble deciding on whether to buy the TH Pedal or Amp.
I've set on going down the Aguilar DB route with my cabs but I'm not sure if I should buy the TH 500 or just buy the pedal and use it with my current head, an Ampeg SVT7pro.

I want the full TH tone so don't want to put a TH pedal in front of the Ampeg pre, I thought I could use the unbalanced output of the TH pedal in to the power amp in on the SVT7 and use the balanced output to the desk. Yes or no, and if so is it worth schlepping the extra kit.

I've no use at all for any distortion or fuzz of any kind so that also has to factor in to which of the two I should get.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Cheers.
B)

Cheers Guys,
Gareth, i have the Ampeg up for sale but i'm loosing a fair chunk at the asking price. That's life though.
I'm ok with that and can afford the TH500...just about ...... But i'm wondering what's the best use of my cash atm.
There's a chance the Ampeg won't sell due to history with that particular head ( although mine has been flawless ) but if i go the pedal route i don't want the Ampeg power section to colour the tone.
Mmmmmm decisions decisions.

Partially depends on whether you want the hassle of a pedal plus larger and heavier head or a simple one unit solution.

Even a used TH pedal is going to be about £150 and a good used TH head about £550.

If you can wipe out a lot of that price differential by selling the Ampeg then you'd end up with, in my opinion, a much more usable, smaller, lightweight package.

The TH heads seem bullet-proof too (which can't be said about the SVT7).

The pedal does offer a switchable distortion option but if you're not going to use that then it's just a pre-amp.

Cheers Barrie,
I just talked it through with Vic at BG and he's helped me decide that the best thing to do first is to get the second DB112 for the short term and along with you guys, i'll get the Head once funds allow.
Cheers guys.

Probably out of touch with Ampeg amps these days as most recent use has been SVT3 pro, NEO combo Amp ( not sure what it was based on, tbh )
and PF500. The PF sounds good and drivey in a showroom...so I'd want to know how it amps up...and would need to drive it.
Not knocked out with the SVT3 pro as the graphic and Mid type switch seem muddled thinking to me. I think the amp is pretty basic sound-wise
and the PF sound..if not QC ..seems a better bet to me.
I wouldn't be that surprised if the 3 Pro was the better loud live amp though.

I think the TH500 is a decent enough head, designed on solid and tried and tested sound models so I don't think it will be any worse than the Ampegs.
2 recent demos of a PF500 thru a PR cab and and TH through CN112's sounded very sweet. I'd reserve final opinion until I'd gigged them tho.

I'd also take into account reliability issues of certain models.

I use a TH pedal but its primary use is a emergency DI ...