Why become a member? ×

GAS can get stuffed

Graham

I've been suffering from a little GAS recently, my current amp is a Genz Streamliner 900 into a Barfaced Compact (G1), but the last few weeks I've been thinking I should maybe see if I can see about trading it for an EBS Reidmar and Classic 1x12 cabs. Reason for this is my previous rig was an EBS Fafner and Proline 4x10 which I adored, but was too big for the house we moved into last year.

I'd been missing the "EBS sound" and had felt that the Streamliner/Compact was a bit "bottom heavy" in it's tone and I wanted more clarity in my sound.

Fortunately, I suspected this was just GAS and thought, I must be able to get a clearer sound with a bit more EQ tweaking - particularly with the ceramic pickups on my SB2. So last night, I cut the bass a bit more, pushed the mids and treble more and found a nice balance between the two pickups on my bass - mostly favouring the P pickup.

It was fantastic: a clear, muscular tone, without being too aggressive and wasn't overbearing in any of the frequency bands. After fiddling with the controls for a while, I got a brilliant overdrive sound out of my Lomenzo Hyperdrive for the songs that needed that too.

If I won the lottery, sure, I'd go out and get something like a Fafner II and Neo 2x12, but I'm really going to try and remember in future that odds are, I already own something that will get me the tone I need, rather than spend a lot of money on something that will do more or less the same job.

So GAS be dammed. Of course, I don't have an envelope filter which would be useful for some bits, and I could use an ERB............

Well, I'm content again now, and don't feel the need to change anything in my set-up.

There's some things I'd like to add - the aforementioned envelope filter (hardly essential, maybe if we get a bonus next quarter) and a Gramma Pad would be beneficial for some of the stages we play; but for my core tone, I'm actually completely happy. At the moment.

Well played G, you have clearly won this battle. But lets be realistic, the war is far from over! Every time I think I'm done something start up again....
As
Long as we play, I think we will always GAS after something, if only we all had the self control to go through what you have to make sure that your current gear CAN'T do what you are looking for.

GAS is fun though isn't it?