Why become a member? ×

Name this scale?

JuliusGroove

Have been doing some reading on chord subs and this scale was suggested:

C D# E F# G Ab B

The guy advised it was part of the harmonic minor scale but I couldn't find a mode with this interval formula? The closest I could find was the Lydian #2 but then flattening the 6th. Does this mode/scale have a specific name or would it just be Lydian #2 b6 on paper?

Thanks!

Its nothing Diatonic, the gap between the 1st and 2nd step is a tone and a half... you get this interval on a harmonic minor though when you sharpen the 7th so maybe its based on that?

Also F#,G,Ab (G# as to not mix #s and bs) is three notes in a row... playing this scale on your own, you could probably come up with something that sounds OK but jamming this with others would be a disaster... clash city!

Edited by CamdenRob

It wouldn't work with Am... A natural minor is a white note scale A,B,C,D,E,F,G,A those sharps would clash with even a regular Am triad A,C,E.

Do whatever sounds good to you though that's the main thing :)

Bizarre scales are often fun when jamming stuff on your own but in a band situation you need stuff that conforms to a key signature so others can easily compose their bits. Otherwise its a bit of a freeforall and a poor bass player who can't stray too far from the root without a nasty discordant clang...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1386595483' post='2301882']
It's an altered dominant of some sort. You're in bebop territory here.

Use it for soloing in a ii V i progression in Fm. It suggests C7b5#9 or C7#5#9.
[/quote]

Actually... spoke before I should have... it's got a natural B. Forget the above.

What it is very similar to is the Augmented scale, which is constructed from two augmented triads placed a b3/#2 apart:

C E G#
Eb G B (or D# Fx Ax if you want to stick to different letters of each degree of the scale and don't mind double sharps)

C Eb E G G# B
(or C D# E Fx G# Ax)

Of course someone has added in the F#. I don't know if this is a recognised scale.

Where did you see this scale?

• 2 weeks later...