Why become a member? ×

Advice On Coated Strings

Mr Stinky

Anyone used these?

I have a chance of joining an established band, it's a group of guys just looking to get on stage, dress up, goof-off and be generally silly.

I'm considering these strings, green ones to clash with my purple bass and a black light to make them glow.

They are pricey but do they last any length of time and how do they sound?

Cheers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180878636430?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1386084530' post='2295499']
I've only used the guitar strings. The coloured ones look great but I couldn't stand the feel and I didn't think the sound was anything special.

However I think the only way for you to find out if they suit is to try a set.
[/quote]

I was curious to find out what they feel like. Do other people find that they feel horrible?

I had DR Black Beauties and Green neon for a while. I quite liked the feel - not as harsh under the fingers as round wounds, nor quite as zingy when you first put them on. But I am a pick user with a heavy hand and the finish wears off in no time at all where the pick hits the string, which spoils the look (and which is kind of the point). Black ones can be patched in with permanent marker but that doesn't last long either. I have ditched idea now, gone back to flats.

I use a 5 string set on a 4 string low tuned bass. To start with they felt too harsh and tended too burn my fInger tips if I slid quickly from one position to another. Been using them for about a year now and I got used to them eventually. To me they feel spiky like steel strings do (I'm a nickel guy). They sound pretty good, quite zingy. They are not perfect but they look cool and do make a talking point.