Why become a member? ×

GK MB212 - II combo: opinions?

TRBboy

Hey guys,

In the mental turmoil of trying to decide whether to change my rig or not, I've noticed the GK MB212 - II. The specs look right, the price is great, but I just wondered if anyone here owns or has any experience of them?

Is be grateful to heart any opinions you may have.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1385803527' post='2292290']
I've got the 112. It's excellent, so imagine the 212 will be a brilliant buy.
[/quote]

Hey man, thanks for the feedback. How doyou find it? I have zero experience of gk stuff! I know they're probably different beasts, but how do you find it in comparison to Markbass stuff? Seems ridiculously good value, but I've read that some people have had reliability issues (although I believer that was the original series stuff).

Hey trboy,

I have just got my first gk rig after selling my orange terrorbass. It is amazing! I am running a 1001rbii into a 212 and a 115 (both neo cabs).

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, love the sound, and the portabity. The MB cab use the same drivers I believe, but no horns and the build quality is not as good. For a bit extra you could get neo cabs, so that would be my recommendation, I don't think you would regret the extra investment.

Go for it!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1385807340' post='2292330']
Hey trboy,

I have just got my first gk rig after selling my orange terrorbass. It is amazing! I am running a 1001rbii into a 212 and a 115 (both neo cabs).

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, love the sound, and the portabity. The MB cab use the same drivers I believe, but no horns and the build quality is not as good. For a bit extra you could get neo cabs, so that would be my recommendation, I don't think you would regret the extra investment.

Go for it!
[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation! Your rig sounds great, but I wouldn't really be gaining anything over my current setup. Out of interest, have you tried running the 2x12" on its own, and if so, how does the bottom end hold up? I believe the MB212 - II combo has the neodymium speakers and also a HF horn, which can be switched off.

Edited by TRBboy

To save my marriage and keep the neighbours on side, I don't use my big amp at home, but if I get a chance ill try it in Wednesday. The guy I bought the cabs from was running the same setup, and he said the 15 filled out the sound while the 212 gave it its definition if that nakes sense

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1385851675' post='2292952']
To save my marriage and keep the neighbours on side, I don't use my big amp at home, but if I get a chance ill try it in Wednesday. The guy I bought the cabs from was running the same setup, and he said the 15 filled out the sound while the 212 gave it its definition if that nakes sense
[/quote]

That's kinda what I find with my Markbass rig, the 2x10" combo is great, but on it's own the bottom end doesn't quite satisfy me. Add the 1x15" extension cab and BOOM! :D

I saw a review of the first series version, and he says it's basically just an MB500 head built into a Neo 212 cab. Sounds good to me! :gas:

I was looking for a replacement for my Markbass, but I'm wondering if I should just get an MB212-II combo to use for rehearsals and very tight gigs anyway! If it ends up pleasing me enough, maybe I'll sell the Markbass......

[quote name='bassjunkie' timestamp='1385837790' post='2292770']
I'm running my rig through the neo 212 II and the bottom end is heavy enough for me. Moved from a 15 to 2 x 12's and I am more than happy with the range. It is low end punchy with great mids too.

Rich
[/quote]

Sounds good to me Rich! Might have to take a punt on one.....

I'd never really used much GK stuff before and purely got it for rehearsals etc. it's beautifully made and sounds great with plenty of tonal versatility on tap. The volume isn't immense, although enough for on stage monitoring in most cases I'd say. The sheer low end grunt simply isn't the on the 112, and it's not in the same league as my main rig. But for the price, size and what it is, it's the best small combo I've come across. Much better than my old promethean p5110 too.

I hope they have improved these since the MkI version (they may well have) because they really cut corners on that one. Looked good from the outside, but a quick glance inside the box told a different story. And it sounded fine until you turned it up and the cabinet started singing along and all the definition went. I had the MB115 (only because I got it cheap).

The MkI amps get lots of rave reviews on the web, which IMO goes to show that web reviews are worth exactly what you pay for them.

The driver had just about the smallest magnet I've seen on a 15, but hey, everyone wants lightweight, so that's what they get.