Why become a member? ×

Neck taken a reverse 'set'

DaytonaRik

I bought an old Cort headless flying vee bass as a restoration project but it seems that the previous owner had stored it unstrung but with compression still on the truss rod - the net effect is that the neck has no curve, in fact, it's probably bowed the wrong way! The truss rod is currently completely wound off and I have to pitch it to an F or Gb for it to be remotely playable. It's a through neck so swapping a neck isn't an option.

Has anyone come across this issue and if so is it salvagable? I was wondering about shaving/sanding the neck to reduce the bulk or whether a luthier has access to arcane knowledge/black arts to restore the curve.

Comments/advice appreciated.

Edited by DaytonaRik

I've no idea how long it was stored - I'm guessing years rather than months. The previous owner had stripped the electronics out and started to sand the body back then abandoned it. I've had it strung for a good 12 months at least...maybe longer.

Edited by DaytonaRik

oh right if youve had it strung that long it should have found its way back to some sort of playing position

there is a thread in repairs on here somehwere about truss rods with no adjustment left in them - just having a search

edit - this be the one

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/97682-truss-rod-maxxd-out"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/97682-truss-rod-maxxd-out[/url]

but the pics seem to have gone unfortunately

Edited by steve-bbb

I had exactly this issue with a neck, and in the absence of any cheap options, I strung it up (I didn't have a body at the time, so it went onto a 3x2 plank with a bridge bodged on :unsure: ) with some D'Addarios I had lying around (high tension strings anyway) and tuned it up to F#-ish, then left it for a looong time (IIRC it was about 18 months) upstairs. I checked it every few months, and after a good while it started to come back, so I was able to start to wind the truss rod back in, and eventually it settled down into a useable state. It's been fine since.

From a few discussions I had with luthiers, it's a pretty hit and miss method, tho, but at least it's cheap... :rolleyes:

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1385732226' post='2291630']
I'll keep checking then and see what (hopefully and safely) gives. In the meantime, I wonder if a light spray of hot water from a cleaning product/gardening 'atomiser' type bottle would soften the neck and speed up the process?
[/quote]

General rule of thumb seems to be, keep water away at all costs. It may well just introduce a complicating factor instead of speeding things up.