Why become a member? ×

Fender mini hex key / screwdriver - ?

Skol303

Ok, so after my Wonky Knobs thread sank with trace (I appreciate it's a sensitive issue :blush:), I'll try again.

I'm trying to adjust a set of stacked knobs on a Fender jazz bass. Ones like these...

[i]^ That photo is WAY too big to illustrate my point! Sorry.[/i]

...anyway, I have a standard mini-allen key which is fine to loosen the upper dial. The lower dial, however, requires a smaller tool to loosen it and for the life of me I can't work out whether I need an even smaller allen/hex or something like a jeweler's screwdriver. The hole in the back of the lower knob is tiny and it's difficult to see what's required.

I should point out that it's not my bass - it's one I'm borrowing from a mate (and may end up buying) - and so I don't want to go poking around with the wrong tool in case I damage the thread.

[b]Can anyone point me to the right type of hex key / screwdriver I need for this job?[/b]

I've tried numerous searches and I'll be damned if I can find an answer. So I'm either being a doofus, or... yeah, I'm probably being a doofus. But humour me :)

Keep trying to see what is there. If USA any Allen keys will be imperial; I think Mex can be either but I was once told metric to be the usual. I got a set of small size Allen keys yonks back. So close together in sizes it's almost immaterial, I just use whichever fits.

Cheers for the replies! :)

I've contacted Fender and asked them the same question and even they don't seem to know for certain! Very odd.

The guy I'm in contact with (at Fender UK) seems to think that a flathead jewelers driver will do the job - but he doesn't know for sure.

I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill... But I'm amazed that even Fender don't know what fitting is used on their knobs!

I'll let you know if I get a firm answer.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1385396182' post='2287704']The guy I'm in contact with (at Fender UK) seems to think that a flathead jewelers driver will do the job - but he doesn't know for sure.[/quote]

Update: the guy at Fender is going to track down a bass with stacked knobs and confirm the fitting for me himself.

That's good customer service! :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1385396182' post='2287704']
Cheers for the replies! :)

I've contacted Fender and asked them the same question and even they don't seem to know for certain! Very odd.

The guy I'm in contact with (at Fender UK) seems to think that a flathead jewelers driver will do the job - but he doesn't know for sure.

I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill... But I'm amazed that even Fender don't know what fitting is used on their knobs!

I'll let you know if I get a firm answer.
[/quote] I think it is not right for you to use the term knob and firm in the same post lol but joking aside I think it is a small allen key that you use to adjust it :)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1385398943' post='2287754']
I think it is not right for you to use the term knob and firm in the same post lol but joking aside I think it is a small allen key that you use to adjust it
[/quote]

:D I hadn't noticed... Honest guv.

Yeah I've had a second look and it appears to be a tiny Allen key socket. I'm going to wait to hear from Fender before I start rooting around. Kinda weird that this info isn't easily available on their website or forums... But heh.

For anyone interested I can now confirm that Fender jazz stacked pots require allen keys for both the upper (larger key) and lower (smaller key) knobs.

The guy at Fender whom I've been dealing with is now posting a selection of allen keys out to me! Very good of him and great customer service :)

Job done.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1385481450' post='2288760']
For anyone interested I can now confirm that Fender jazz stacked pots require allen keys for both the upper (larger key) and lower (smaller key) knobs.

The guy at Fender whom I've been dealing with is now posting a selection of allen keys out to me! Very good of him and great customer service :)

Job done.
[/quote]

That's nice. I'd imagine they're using fairly standard imperial or metric hex keys - but If they want to go the extra mile that's great!