Why become a member? ×

Doing away with charts

chris_b

Chaps, thanks for some interesting ideas and suggestions.

I agree with the view that if you learn a number it goes all the way in and if you read charts and you never fully learn it.

But I have folders of charts for 20 different bands on the shelf in the front room. I'm not going to remember that lot and some of the deps are months apart.

Having looked at the costs I think I'm going chartless for the regular gigs and just get the music stand out for the irregular stuff.

I know what I'd rather carry around :)

The cool thing too is you can set up the pages in my one app (goodnotes), so they're in the order that you want them in, so they can correspond to your gig's set list.

Just swipe across the screen and you're set for the next number :)

And you can add notations and highlight bits etc.

Edited by ambient

I can't read, but was struggling for a while with structures on some songs, so used some index cards subtly clipEd to my bass stand with a small led light taped to it , worked wonderfully, and was discreet

I've seen keyboard players use iPads on brackets that clip to thier bv mic stand and use a software which scrolls the sheets at the correct Bpm , for me to much to go wrong there , and also you can get away with an iPad in a keyboard set up.

Obvioulsy your playing level is way above me, but thought I'd share the iPad software thing, it does seem cool , but I can't help thinking it could go badly wrong.

Edited by lojo

This all assumes that there is a defined running order. The band leader (singer) in my lot has a scruffy bit of paper with all the songs on it we are ever likely to do and just calls them out as he feels fit through the gig. If we were all on ipads or physical sheet music we'd still have that delay whilst we all found the next song and loaded it up. I've discussed having a defined running order so at least we know what's coming next but it's never happened. Of course now we have a delay whilst the guitarist sets up his 'sound' for a particular song once he knows what we are actually playing next :rolleyes:

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1385113227' post='2284534']
This all assumes that there is a defined running order. The band leader (singer) in my lot has a scruffy bit of paper with all the songs on it we are ever likely to do and just calls them out as he feels fit through the gig. If we were all on ipads or physical sheet music we'd still have that delay whilst we all found the next song and loaded it up. I've discussed having a defined running order so at least we know what's coming next but it's never happened. Of course now we have a delay whilst the guitarist sets up his 'sound' for a particular song once he knows what we are actually playing next :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Thats fine if you are the resident member of the band but a dep is another matter imo, I dont use charts in my regular bands 30 songs in each band at one time.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1385113227' post='2284534']
[/quote]

In that scenario I'd just have the charts in alphabetical order, that's why my app is handy, you can very quickly move the pages about.

I totally agree that knowing the songs is by far the best solution, but the OP is asking about digital charts.

Edited by ambient

Yep. The best computer is the brain, except when you're in the middle of a CRAFT moment.

I'm always happy to discover interesting ways of making life easier.

We did a gig a few years ago where the FOH engineer stood on the stage and set up the monitors via an iPhone/iPod linked to the desk at the other end of the room.

I've also seen bass players using PC's, which I suppose is for their EQ and effects?

Guest bassman7755

I'm pretty good at learning progressions and lines but struggle more with the remembering the overall arrangements e.g. verse/chorus/leadbreak/middle8 when learning lots of new songs at once. So sometimes I've a had a single A4 "cheat sheet" to remind me on stage. Also I find songs are a lot more "sticky" when you learn to hum/sing the bass line.