Why become a member? ×

Black Diamond Bass Strings / Aurora Bass Strings

Kev

Does anyone have any experience of these? I love the look of DR Black Beauties but the sound and feel isn't quite right for me. The black coated Black Diamond strings look like they could be a great alternative. Is there a UK dealer?

[url="http://www.blackdiamondstrings.com/HTMLPages/bass.html"]http://www.blackdiam...Pages/bass.html[/url]

Edited by Kev

• 2 weeks later...

I've just looked at the website - $85 for a set of 0.40 gauge seems a bit excessive..by comparison you could go for a set of Aurora, lots of colours to choose from though I've no experience of these or how long the colour lasts.

http://stringsbyaurora.com/our-strings/our-colors

Well the Aurora bass strings have arrived today. They were posted last monday, so I am happy with that from the US. No customs charges either, which is always a bonus.

First impressions are really good. Notable nicer feel than the DR's, which felt awfully rough doing slides, and they have lovely tension. Tonally similar, the Auroras however do sound a little brighter and importantly the G string is not dead (an issue I have experienced with DR). I believe that Aurora used to supply DR with the coating but they have since parted company. I think DR brought out there own coating and branded it Extra Life, around the same time they brought out the Neon strings.

Happy that they are an improvement over the DR's, be it only first impression at the moment. We shall see!

Oh, and the best bit? They were buy one get one free on a black friday deal! So two sets of black coated strings for a landed cost of £26. I believe Black Beauties are about £36 a set in the UK. Result!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just ordered a couple of sets of the black Aurora strings.
I have been using the Roto Nexus,
I lked the tone and loved the look and quite liked the apparent softness of feel.
Hate the 'rainbow' silks.
The coating started to wear off after a couple of hours of live (finger) playing,
but I used them all last year.
I'd used the same set since November and the 'E' went on Sunday during a gig,
they were beginning to feel a bit wobbley towards the end.
When I took the remaining strings off I was surprised by how worn they looked and felt.

I'll see how the Aurora ones turn out otherwise I'll be back to Slinkies, Elites or Roto.
Update to follow
Nodd

• 1 month later...

I've been using Status Hotwire black nylon tapewound strings (unbelievably only £13.99 plus P&P) on my Shuker fretless - available in 40s and 45s - feel is superb. I would highly recommend these - I've ordered another 2 sets from Rob ready for my next string change..

The Black Aurora strings arrived,
I put them on my Precision and left them for a week, didn't get a chance to play it..
they did take a little bit of extra time to settle down tuning wise.
The Auroras are much more reminiscent of regular Swing Bass,
brighter than the Nexus, louder too.
I don't like the tone as much presently, its a little too 'big' for my taste
I 'm hoping they will calm down a bit.
The feel is a little heavier than the Nexus, but not an issue
The coating has lasted two gigs so far,
the plucked area of the G string (ooerr) has worn slightly,
but that was due to a stressful Saturday night.
I will update in a week or so, but so far I prefer them to the Nexus.
Nodd