Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help needed.. I found a bass in a part ex shop....

funkyjimbob

Hi Guys,

While bored on my way home last night I wandered into a local pawn shop and hanging on the wall was what looks like an 80's Warwick Fortress One.... How would I be able to tell this is an old one? I have had many Warwicks myself and this is different in the way the headstock has smooth edges and the old school truss rod adjust cover but after checking the rest of the bass there was nothing that really gave any more clues...

It was listed at 400 quid and is in good condition. In dire, dire need of a setup but apart from that in good condition.

How much do these go for as if I can make a quick buck I will purchase it! Or shall I steer clear?

Thanks

[quote name='funkyjimbob' post='226492' date='Jun 25 2008, 10:02 AM']Hi Guys,

While bored on my way home last night I wandered into a local pawn shop and hanging on the wall was what looks like an 80's Warwick Fortress One.... How would I be able to tell this is an old one? I have had many Warwicks myself and this is different in the way the headstock has smooth edges and the old school truss rod adjust cover but after checking the rest of the bass there was nothing that really gave any more clues...

It was listed at 400 quid and is in good condition. In dire, dire need of a setup but apart from that in good condition.

How much do these go for as if I can make a quick buck I will purchase it! Or shall I steer clear?

Thanks[/quote]

Here's a Fortress One from the bass museum site for comparison ..
[url="http://www.bass-guitar-museum.com/bass.php?ID=4823"]Fortress One[/url]

You never know what you might spot in a pawn / cash converter type place.

I once picked up a Spector fretless 4 for £100 in one.

The same place had an amazing Tom Anderson quilted maple top guitar for a few hundred quid but I couldn't afford it at the time.

[quote name='molan' post='226547' date='Jun 25 2008, 11:06 AM']You never know what you might spot in a pawn / cash converter type place.

I once picked up a Spector fretless 4 for £100 in one.

The same place had an amazing Tom Anderson quilted maple top guitar for a few hundred quid but I couldn't afford it at the time.[/quote]

That is crazy.. I am going to check these shops regulary from now on.. I have found a few old Warwicks in them...

There are various Fortress models and TBH £400 isn't a give-away price, there are some new models of Fortress that are about £400 new. A good few years back I had the rarer first edition model that had the 2-tek bridge and lipstick pups and I don't think I got much more than £400 when Warwick were retaining their value better than they are now.

It wouldn't be an 80's model BTW, they weren't introduced till the 90's. The date stamp will be on the back of the headstock; the last two digits denote the year of manufacture.

If it is a bit rough and needs anything spending on it (even time) then I'd steer clear there wouldn't be a lot to be made at that price. Check eBay to see what they are going for.

Edited by warwickhunt