Why become a member? ×

Lollar Overwound, Bareknuckle '65 or Ray Gerold Detroit Precision Replacement Pups?

JakeFoordBass

Hi All!

I'm all a tizzy having just found out Wizard have stopped trading!

Basically, I'm looking to replace the pickups on my '75 Precision pretty quickly as an interim before eventually getting the original re-wound.

Of the list above, has anyone got any experience and, if so, which would best suit someone looking for something that sounds like a Precision but maybe a little bit more! (I know a little bit more is a bit vague so just think more Precision).

The list is what's in stock and available immediately in Germany.

I'm just going to replace the entire internal loom so what should I be looking for electrics wise? I found a kit which is 2xCTS 250 pots, a 0.47 Sprague Orange Drop Cap etc, will that do?

Would have loved to try the nordy np4's too but nowhere seems to have them!

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Tar,

Jake

I asked Tim (Bare Knuckle CEO) about the 65 and he said that it's really designed for basses that have really heavy wood which sounds really dull and dark. The 65 has much more top end response and a bit less bottom than the more versatile 58, which is what I use and is fantastic. It might be that a snarly top end is what you're after, but if not then the 58 would be a better shout.

Thanks for all of that guys!! Have messaged KiOgon about the loom and I think I'm going to hunt down the Nordstrands after some more positive reviews from mates. De Gier is saying May for them but I've emailed asking if it'll be any sooner and I've found a shop in Germany showing some in stock that I'll try too!

Thanks chaps!

+1 for Bare Knuckle pickups, have one in a Westfield copy and it's so nice I'm going to build a bass around it, as the Westfield's neck is too slim for my shovels! Very nice pickup indeed, I should think it would sound awesome in your bass

I haven't got round to posting them officially for sale (I'll try tomorrow!) but I've got a few different P Bass pickups at home that have all been fitted once, tested and then swapped out again (they came in a PX deal from a project builder friend of mine).

From memory there's a Bareknuckle '58 Split P, an Aguilar 4P-60 (this may already be spoken for) and a brand new stock Fender P that came out of a Tony Franklin (these are the standard US P variety used in a lot of different US Fender variants).

Also a Nordstrand NP5 and a Fender P5 that was rewound to be hotter by Bareknuckle.

N.B. I'm not trying to get around the classified listings rules. I have an annual paid up account. Just thought I'd mention I have some here as people were asking.

I should also say that I've heard some demo sets of Fatboy pickups and was rally impressed. About £80 for the hot wound P bass set.

Edited by molan