Why become a member? ×

"Bass is tough because a lot of the time the bass player is in the band just to make up the numbers"

Maverick

[quote name='Maverick' timestamp='1384474485' post='2277263']
Yawn. Grow up boys.
[/quote]
[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1384533112' post='2277871']
I always thought that metal, punk and grunge where always about fighting against established forms of thought, yet its now compounding them to suit its own aesthetic.
[/quote]

Quite. [old bloke alert] And is not metal aimed at a certain, ah... age group? Or at least a certain, er... 'youthful' mentality? I've thought for a long time that the whole death/blood/grim reaper/disaster and general dark, depressing subject matter and imagery of the genre (to me at least) entirely spurious. Why make all that stuff up when there is so much genuine death and horror happening in the world? What is it with the masculine, aggressive stance of it all that appeals so much to young men?

Seems to me that metal is produced and consumed by people who are lucky enough to live in a relatively worry-free society that gives them time, freedom and leisure to such a degree that they are able to contemplate the whole death/blood/disaster thing as a form of entertainment.

Which (again, for me) puts it in the same category as horror films. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course.

So there you have it. Metal is middle-class and is big in Tunbridge Wells and Milton Keynes. [/old bloke alert]

Nomex suit ON. :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1384537165' post='2277938']
Quite. [old bloke alert] And is not metal aimed at a certain, ah... age group? Or at least a certain, er... 'youthful' mentality? I've thought for a long time that the whole death/blood/grim reaper/disaster and general dark, depressing subject matter and imagery of the genre (to me at least) entirely spurious. Why make all that stuff up when there is so much genuine death and horror happening in the world? What is it with the masculine, aggressive stance of it all that appeals so much to young men?

Seems to me that metal is produced and consumed by people who are lucky enough to live in a relatively worry-free society that gives them time, freedom and leisure to such a degree that they are able to contemplate the whole death/blood/disaster thing as a form of entertainment.

Which (again, for me) puts it in the same category as horror films. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course.

So there you have it. Metal is middle-class and is big in Tunbridge Wells and Milton Keynes. [/old bloke alert]

[/quote]

Lol. I did ask a while ago if metal was really pop music.
If you go to a school or college/uni & ask the boys (& many of the girls too), I'm pretty sure the majority will name a metal band as their fave. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1384537165' post='2277938']

[/quote]

For something a bit different, Devin Townsend's latest album, Epicloud, is basically an album of heavy metal love songs.

Edited by Maverick

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1384543348' post='2278045']

Lol. I did ask a while ago if metal was really pop music.
If you go to a school or college/uni & ask the boys (& many of the girls too), I'm pretty sure the majority will name a metal band as their fave. :)
[/quote]

Nah, I was in a tiny minority as a metal fan through school and college, and a slightly larger minority at uni. I think metal has a strong presence through being a strong community, but in the grand scheme of things it's not [/i]that[i] big.