Why become a member? ×

Which microfibre cloth ?

essexbasscat

Hi all

Spent some time doing a review of past BC threads about cleaning our beloved instruments. As you would expect, there were a wide variety of recommendations regarding cleaning fluids, lemon oil etc. MIcrofibre cloths were recommended a few times as well, but they weren't well discussed.

Does anyone have experience with the range of microfibre cloths out there ? are there some that work well with one type of finish, but not well with another ? (i.e. nitro and cellulose/ poly finishes)

Are there different types of cloths that work better at different stages of work, such as basic grime removal, then later on, polish application, then polishing ?

Thanks in advance BC

Edited by essexbasscat

The problem with microfiber cloths is that they hold tiny grains of scratchy dust. You go wiping your bonny new guitar with it and suddenly the lovely finish gets all swirly. Not a problem on old basses though. I use microfibre on my main gigger after every gig - I don't have to worry about swirlyness on it.

Thanks peeps.

Hi Ou7shined and thanks. If a microfibre cloth retains dust, it could possibly be a good tool for carefully removing fingerfuls of grime, using a fresh area of cloth each application. Similarly, it would be a good medium for initial cleaning with a fluid like Dunlop 65, Gerlitz etc
What you say about retained dust causing swirl marks makes sense. Strangely, there's more than a few recommendations around the web for using microfibre cloths for swirl removal. Odd :blink:

Cloths I've found so far are Planet Waves, Nomad, Fender Premium and premium plush, Ernie Ball and Dunlop. Ernie Ball appears to be the cheapest and Dunlop seem to be the most expensive

Edited by essexbasscat