Why become a member? ×

Does anyone else use their music as a weapon?

throwoff

Working on stuff for the new band (I am the lyricist as well as bass player) and reading back through a couple of them they could be deemed as VERY harsh to certain people no longer in my life.

They have not been written about those situations at all, but I guess everything comes from the 'soul' so experience shines through.

I tend to avoid words about politics, causes and above all people I know...

Do I change it or do I just hope people listen to it for what it is, a tale that I have come up with.

A lot of people talk about good music being "real" and "honest." Personally I've found the odd bit of lyric-writing to be quite cathartic - sometimes it's very satisfying when all the anger comes out in a creative way.

I suppose the best way to do it is to write the song such that said certain-person-no-longer-in-your-life probably wouldn't guess it was about them, but the audience can feel the sentiment!

I have always ended up writing the majority if not all the lyrics for my bands, but then I also tend to take on the band leader role as I am fairly hot on promo and the boring business side of things.

I really enjoy it, back when I was playing the ska punk band we got to the point people would sing along to some songs, that is pretty special to hear a room of people singing what you wrote.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1383928217' post='2270969']...Do I change it or do I just hope people listen to it for what it is, a tale that I have come up with.[/quote]

"You're so vain" (Carly Simon...) comes to mind. If it's being sung on stage (or heard on the radio...) and someone thinks it's 'their' story, they just have to deal with it, imho. There have been many songs with personal messages to ex-spouses, girl/boy friends, etc. I'd draw the line at naming names, probably, but that's all. A noble thought on your part, though. Only you can judge, really.