Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NBD - Squier VM Precision Fretless - Pics!

Telebass

Got this at Wunjos yesterday. Tom had ordered it in on spec as I was returning to the shop.
Plus points:
Sounds great! Mind, played through an SVT, most Precisions sound good! The ebanol board gives serious mwah!

Looks great! Sunburst/tort is the only colour option, but what an option!

Plays really nicely! Needed a tweak of the truss rod and it really plays well. Was able to A/B it with a '78 maple board P and the Squier was nicer, as in it has a much less chunky neck. Will feel better still with some TI Jazz Flats on.

Weighs nothing. This was particularly evident compared to the '78, which was nice, but probably over 10lb. The Squier is noticeably lighter than my working basses, which are both 8.7lb.

Overall fit and finish: very good. A slight wrinkle is that the board is presented as a defretted board, with side dots where you'd expect to find them on a fretted instrument.

Verdict: the only change I will make is to change the knobs. This is a Squier I will happily gig and not suffer headstock-name-itis!
Very impressed.

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1383934083' post='2271071']
And here it is. Have changed the knobs and fitted Schaller strap lock pins, otherwise stock, and staying that way.

[attachment=147960:DSCF1652.JPG]

[attachment=147961:DSCF1655.JPG]

I is liking it a lot!

:i-m_so_happy:
[/quote]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkEovtbG06o

• 4 weeks later...

As detailed in other threads, I have been on a massive frankensteining of all my Fenders/Squiers, so the fretless neck is now on a Squier PJ body! The fretless' original body was so light, I made it into my main gigging fretted bass.
At one rehearsal, my fretted developed a fault, so I had to complete the nearly 3 hours out of four on the fretless. Baptism of fire, but it was fine, sounded good.