Why become a member? ×

Jimmy Webb R4 tonight

seashell

Jimmy Webb is indeed a genius songwriter, and I will have to have a listen on the BBC iplayer , so thanks for letting me know about this . I loved Rumer's version of his song P.F Sloan that came out last year. To be honest with you , I have seen Jimmy trying to perform his own songs in the past and he isn't much of a singer, but I suppose that's not really the point.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1383419189' post='2264349']
Wonderful songwriter, even though responsible for MacArthur Park ! :D
[/quote]

Yep fantastic writer. I will catch up on iPlayer.
MacArthur Park was a terrific bit of writing, with top notch arranging and great playing all round.
It was Richard Harris that was responsible for the noise. :lol:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383425764' post='2264444']
To be honest with you , I have seen Jimmy trying to perform his own songs in the past and he isn't much of a singer, but I suppose that's not really the point.[/quote]
I've seen Jimmy Webb live a couple of times and of course he's not a great singer but certainly isn't as bad a singer as a lot of other composers. I think with Jimmy Webb it also helps him that Richard Harris who recorded many of his songs wasn't the greatest singer either. The thing about seeing Webb live is not his singing but the great stories that are attached to all the songs.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1383485042' post='2264880']
He says some iteresting things about writing vs performing in the interview. Give it a listen - it's only the last 10 mins or so of the programme.
[/quote]
Thanks for that. Just listened to it and it's well worth it. Jimmy Webb is not only a wonderful songwriter but always amusing, worth listening to and the what he said about being a reluctant singer is very interesting.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1383478409' post='2264781']
I've seen Jimmy Webb live a couple of times and of course he's not a great singer but certainly isn't as bad a singer as a lot of other composers. I think with Jimmy Webb it also helps him that Richard Harris who recorded many of his songs wasn't the greatest singer either. The thing about seeing Webb live is not his singing but the great stories that are attached to all the songs.
[/quote]

I think you have hit the nail on the head when you describe Jimmy Webb as a storyteller , because that is very much what he does in his songs. His compositions so cinematic , unusual and altogether intriguing that he is a one-off, unique talent with his own distinct style . I get the feeling about Jimmy Webb that, if the mood took him , he could write another multimillion seller like the ones for his heyday for a current artist today without any problem at all . He has got the gift.