Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Greetings, my beauties!

angercat

Just joined to immerse myself in the low down community - and as a place to vent my spleen after hearing all the bass player jokes at work!

My name's Ben, although angercat is fine, and I started messing around on guitars about 25 years ago. Always liked the bass but was needed for rhythm guitar duties in my first band. Suffice to say that I always had a tatty old shonker of a 4 string with a busted headstock laying around and it probably saw more action than the Jackson guitar I owned!

Fast forward a whole heap of time and you'll see me go from working in a bank for 17 years (ugh) to being an estate agent (double ugh) until about 18 months ago, when I decided to stop doing jobs that make people want to hate me and applied for a job in my local guitar shop (27 miles is local here in Norfolk!). Cookes Band Instruments in Norwich has been my spiritual home ever since and has allowed me the unique opportunity to play some beautiful instruments, get to know some fantastic people - including BC's very own Dood (morning Dan!) - and get paid for the pleasure. Just don't tell my boss that I'd do it for free!

Instrument wise, I like sleek, modern stuff the best, whilst still doffing my proverbial cap to the styles and the tones of the vintage forebears. I went from that shonker to an Ibanez SR205 about 10 years ago. Since I've been at Cookes I've upgraded to an Ibanez SR705 and again to an SR1205 (anyone noticing a pattern?!) - a mindblowingly great bass! Also have a Chinese Tokai Thunderbird in vintage white and a Steinberger Spirit XT-25, although the less said about these the better!

Anyway, thank you for allowing me to join the fold and I look forward to waffling away to you all at 3am during a huge, caffeine-induced bout of insomnia!

Cheers guys,

Ben.